1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Strangely Slow Internet Speeds

Discussion in 'Networking' started by ChromePoison, Jul 15, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ChromePoison

ChromePoison Thread Starter

Okay, so, on my phone, my speeds are what I expect and pay for (90 Mbps down and 11 Mbps up); however, on my PC, my download speed is crazy low (~5 Mpbs down and 11 Mpbs up). I just currently moved; I did not have this issue at my other home. Also, on all my other devices, like my phone and Xbox, I do not have this issue. I have read similar fixes about this, but none of this works. I am intrigued why it's only the download speed, but I mostly just want my speeds back. Please help; I would appreciate it very much.

2. Saturable

Saturable

First Name:
    Mark
    A few questions.

> Are you using the same router as before you moved?
    > How are you connecting? WiFi or Ethernet?
    > What's your router/modem setup?

3. ChromePoison

No, I am not using the same router. It's WiFi through all devices. I have a router/modem combo from Comcast.

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    What download speed do you get with this computer with ethernet?

Do you have the latest correct wireless driver?

5. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    You didn't describe your computer or clarify if it's a desktop or a laptop, so we don't know how mobile you can be with it.

Besides now having a different modem/router, you're now living in a different residence, so the different layout may be affecting the wireless signal.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited: Jul 16, 2016
  6. metallica5456

metallica5456 Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Andrew
    Which gateway from Comcast do you have? They only have a few that have .modern wifi in them, most of them still use N wifi.

7. Saturable

Saturable

First Name:
    Mark
    Try connecting via Ethernet on your computer to see if WiFi is causing your problems. Different devices may have different wireless adapters thus affecting performance. Cell phones usually have very good adapters because they don't have any option to connect via Ethernet.

8. metallica5456

metallica5456 Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Andrew
    Mark is actually correct. That would be a good idea to test with Ethernet.

9. ChromePoison

I don't have a way to check with ethernet at the moment.

I don't know.

10. ChromePoison

It's a Sony VGN-NR330E laptop. The layout is not the issue. I now am in the same room as the router. At my old house, the router was in the basement while my computer was upstairs.

11. ChromePoison

Wouldn't that mean all my other devices wouldn't get good speeds either?

12. ChromePoison

Ethernet is not an option at the moment.

13. Saturable

Saturable

First Name:
    Mark
    To troubleshoot your problem, we'll need you to find a way to connect via ethernet. If you don't have a CAT5 cable, they can easily be found on Amazon for an affordable price. There are also CAT6 and CAT7 cables that offer faster speeds and higher resistances, but most people only ever need CAT5.

Also, this probably won't apply to you, but some network adapters like Killer have software that will limit your download rate. I had this on my laptop, and once disabled I got my full speed. Since you had no problems prior to your move, however, I don't think it's software related.

14. ChromePoison

I'm thinking it's some sort of compatibility issue between my PC and my router. I somehow got up to 20 Mbps earlier today shortly after attempting to update my network drivers; however, the slow speeds have returned.

15. Saturable

Saturable

First Name:
    Mark
    Are there any options in your modem settings to throttle your download speeds to devices with high usage? You should be able to access your settings by opening a browser and typing 192.168.0.1 in the URL bar. Although, modems have varying IP addresses, so you should look yours up online.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1174590

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice