1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Stream and download speed fast to slow

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by xanth1111, Nov 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xanth1111

xanth1111 Thread Starter

I'm currently having problems with my streams and download speeds. For example, when i click to download a file from a server that I know should be running quickly it will start out at say, 170 KBS, and then in less than a few seconds it will jump down to say, 70, then to even lower to about 45-50kbs, im running on a DSL line that should be able to support the 170+ KBS download speeds and it seems like something is eating my connection. I have Spybot: S&D installed on my computer and I use it regularly. I also have a router, the other computer is my brothers and im sure its infested with all kinds of viruses and whatnot so im not worried about it, im wondering if there is anything I can do to test how fast my connection speed is, and maybe get some useful programs *free is always nice* to check for trojans,viruses, etc that might be using my connection.

2. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

The initial high speed reporting is a common factor in Windows, even in dial-up.

I suspect that it's to do with the data transfer during the time the connection is established and being "measured" being included in the first few seconds as having occured insantaneously. While you should always strive to keep your PC clean, do not immediately blame it for the reporting.

There are many servers involved in every data transfer, a lot of congestion occurs elsewhere, completely independently of the server you are retrieving from.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/521991

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice