1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Stream music from External Hard Drive via router and Sonos Music System

Discussion in 'Networking' started by johrod, Apr 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. johrod

johrod Thread Starter

The Sonos Music System can stream music from the internet to ever room in your house wirelessly. To do this one of its components is connected to a router using ethernet cable. However I want to stream music from my external Hard drive via my Thomson TG782T Router to the Sonos Music System.
    My Question is: Do I just connect the external Hard drive to the USB port of the Thomson TG782T Router or is it more complicated.
    In the absence of detailed instruction (Thomson TG782T Router Manual) i need advise on how to go about it (i.e. test steaming music from this Ext Hard Drive via the router to a PC), prior to purchasing the Sonos Music System.

Thanks is advance.

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    more complicated if the router does not have built in mediaserver - some do - my linksys does and thats exactlty what I do
    so i will look up the router and see if it has a mediaserver firmware included

3. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    Update
    It does have a MediaServer - so yes it should be as simple as connecting the drive and then maybe some setting -
    I can select the folder to use as a media sever - so the 1TB drive i have has an Audio folder - for the media service and the the other folders are just used to share files around
    This is all i could find as a user manual - english version here http://www.technicolorbroadbandpartner.com/getfile.php?id=6978
    http://www.technicolorbroadbandpart...ways/products/product-detail.php?id=181&seg=7
    and its not the "T" version at the end - not sure what that maybe
    I will read some more and EDIT this post - so keep an eye here

some external harddrives are not designed to be on all day and night and can get HOT - the one I use has a fan on it to keep the drive cool

seems simple enough - see page 51 of the usermanual
    appears the driver is scanned for audio and video and presented for sharing - make sure mediaserver is enabled - see page 53 for status info

4. johrod

johrod Thread Starter

Thanks etaf. The user guide will give me something to work with for the moment. Will keep you posted

5. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    OK - lets us know how you get on (y)

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/992482

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice