1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Streaming asterisk issue - no clue what's going on!

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by loanplanet, May 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. loanplanet

loanplanet Thread Starter

For the last two days now, my computer starts streaming the asterisk symbol (********************) over and over where ever it can. When I open up IE or google chrome, it immediately starts streaming ****************** in the search column. This also occurs where ever I can type (emails, passwords, etc...you name it) The problem is intermittent, and happens randomly. I've popped off the asterisk key on my computer just to see if something was stuck, but that didn't do it, plus you need to "shift" to even make that happen. this is the weirdest thing I've ever seen. I have always had comcast internet, but I just added their phone system as well. Is this the issue?

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

Try a different keyboard.

3. loanplanet

loanplanet Thread Starter

thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately, it's a laptop

4. ceqf

ceqf

Hi;
    I am having the same problem as you, and have yet to figure it out either. I have run different kinds of virus scans, spyware/malware scans, and haven't come up with anything. It happens every so often, and is annoying as heck for sure.

5. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

It's not a virus. It's a physical hardware problem.

6. ceqf

ceqf

Thank you for the reply :)
    With the keyboard ? I did think about that as well, but in order to make an asterisk, you of course have to hold down the shift key, then press the '8' button. That is what's confounding me.

7. ChuckE

ChuckE

A bad keyboard does not have to follow a physical need of pushing a certain key to get a character to appear. So your idea that you need to press the SHIFT to get to the asterisk is not absolute.

Try getting to the Setup of your computer (perhaps a push of the F2 key during the startup, but that really depends upon your computer manufacturer's process).

In the Setup, and some people may call that the BIOS, see if you can use the keyboard without the asterisk problem. Depending upon your computer make and model, you might also have some computer test routines where you can test areas of your computer, such as the keyboard.

If your tests work at these rudimentary levels, but still continue to fail once you get into Windows, then you may have a driver issue.

A bad keyboard on a laptop can be replaced fairly cheaply. I just did one for just $20.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/920808

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice