1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Streaming HD content.

Discussion in 'Networking' started by TerraRizA, Apr 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. TerraRizA

TerraRizA Thread Starter

I want to stream HD movies from my PC to my PS3, I'm already using a program which can stream through PS3 Media Server but I'm using a Wireless G connection. I do have a Wireless N router though, but instead of getting myself a Wireless N adapter, which mightn't actually deliver enough speed for HD streaming, I'm going to connect the PC and PS3 through a wired ethernet connection. I have a ASUS P5B-VM SE motherboard with an ethernet port, does this mean I don't need a NIC? Also, I'm not sure what cable I should be using, do all ethernet cables support enough speed to carry HD content? Would Cat5e be just as adept at the job as Cat8?

In the technical specs of the motherboard on Google, it states this;

2. cybersloth

cybersloth

no, you only need one NIC (Network Interface Controler) and your mobo has one.

connect your PC and the PS3 to your router (the router will asign IPs) or you can use a crossover cable and assign IPs manualy i recomend using 192.168.0.x (x being the device's number, for example PC=1 PS3=2)

and disable your wireless (this is so the computer will only use the wired network)

cat5e should be fine, if you use your router then it is probably only 100baseT, if you use crossover you could use cat6 or cat8 provided both NICs are 1000baseT.

3. TerraRizA

TerraRizA Thread Starter

My PC is in the bedroom and it connects to the Internet through the new wireless N router (Belkin) which is in the living room, so it would be impractical for me to connect the PC and the PS3 to the main wireless router. However, I do have an old router which uses Wireless G technology (Netgear) and I could use that for wired LAN connections between my PC and PS3 which are both in the bedroom. I'm wondering though, if I connected my PC and PS3 together on a Netgear router for LAN connections could I use a wireless connection (the Belkin router) for the Internet and a wired connection (the Netgear router) for my HD streaming?

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Connect the two with an ethernet cable. Gigabit adapters are auto-sensing (MDI/MDIX) so you need not use a cross-over cable. You can allow APIPAs (169.254.x.y) to be assigned or assign static IPs as cybersloth advised (leave the Gateway and DNS blank).

Yes, you can continue to use the current wireless connection for internet access. Note that the information I'm giving differs from cybersloth's only because we now know more about your environment and what you are trying to do.

5. TerraRizA

TerraRizA Thread Starter

Thanks a lot, that seems to be a simple (and cheap!) solution to the whole problem I was having, thanks a lot for your help cybersloth and terrynet :)

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You're welcome. :)

7. TerraRizA

TerraRizA Thread Starter

I had marked this thread as solved but I've came to another problem while trying to get this connection working. I did as TerryNet above had suggested, and connected my PC (acting as a media server) to the PS3. However, when I viewed my adapter settings I was getting a message that the network cable was unplugged. View.

So, I thought I'd see if it worked by connecting the PC to the PS3 via the old Netgear router as mentioned above. This solved the problem, although the router only allows the systems to communicate at 100mbps, whereas I need the full 1000mbps for the HD streaming. Any ideas?

8. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    The PS3 has a gigabit port?

Gigabit uses all 8 wires in a cable while 100 Mbps uses only 4. Perhaps a defective cable could give the unplugged msg. when connected to another gigabit, but works OK with the router's 100 Mbps?

9. TerraRizA

TerraRizA Thread Starter

Yeah it works fine when plugged into the router, although it gives reduced speeds of only 100mbps, because of the router's capabilities. I finally managed to get the PC and the PS3 to talk to each other in some way, however I'm having a problem with getting the network to identify the PS3. The PC network connection now seems to 'understand' that there is a connection, but it doesn't seem to know what to do with it. I'm now getting this screenshot, View.

I should probably give you more information to work with. Here is the status of the connection (view). More information.. See here.

The main problem I seem to be having atm is that I can't obtain an IP address on my PS3 automatically from the network connection, and when I try to set it up manually, it asks me for the IP address, Subnet mask, Default Router?!, Primary DNS?! and Secondary DNS?!. The '?!' are the ones I have no idea about which information to give. For the IP address and the subnet mask, I simply gave the information that was listed in the previous screenshot See here.

10. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    No point in assigning an APIPA (169.254.x.y), as each device should be able to get one of those on its own. Often if a connection like that is going to be used frequently people find it convenient to assign static IP addresses. For example, 10.0.0.1 on the computer and 10.0.0.2 on the PS3. Mask = 255.255.255.0. Default Gateway (or "Router") and DNS server null (blank).

Open a Command prompt window and try to ping the PS3. If you use the above suggestion the command is

ping 10.0.0.2

You should get 4 Replies back.

11. TerraRizA

TerraRizA Thread Starter

How do I assign different IP addresses for my computer and my PS3? I'm currently assigning IP addresses by going to the NIC's IPv4 properties, in local area connection properties. When I try to connect my PS3 to the PC, it asks for the IP address of my computer. So I give it the same number, 10.0.0.1 that I typed into the TCP/IP properties. The PS3 itself also won't allow me to leave a blank DNS or gateway! :(

12. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Sorry, I don't know the PS3 at all. For the DNS and Gateway you could give the PC's address, but those addresses are only used when there is internet access. And I have no clue why it's asking for the computer's address, unless it's poorly worded and really wants to know the address to assign to the PS3 (which, after all, is actually a computer).

13. TerraRizA

TerraRizA Thread Starter

Thanks for all the help TerryNet, I tried what you suggested above and actually managed to obtain an IP address this time for the PS3. However, I still am struggling to get the whole thing working. It all works fine through the switch ports on the router, but like I had mentioned, it only operates at 100mpbs maximum, and I'm wanting a full-speed Gigabit connection. I'm going to purchase a crossover cable and see if that makes a difference, simply because it seems to work with the router, and the crossover cable might be a cheaper option than purchasing a Gigabit switch just now.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!