1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Streaming Video Problem

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by overbydt, Jan 18, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. overbydt

overbydt Thread Starter

I'm having a problem playing any kind of imbedded streaming video. I first tried to watch a streaming broadcast, and the site told me I needed to download Media Player, which I already had. However, I thought I might need an update, so I downloaded the newest version (9) and it still didn't help. As you know, this version cannot be uninstalled, so now I'm stuck with it. I think there may be a conflict between Media Player and Real Player, but I'm not sure. Can anyone please help with this???

2. monted

monted

try unchecking the file associations for streaming media in one or the other,ie.,the one you don't want to use. (In RealPlayer, go to tools, preferences,media types.In WMP, go to tools,options ,file types.)

Also, did you download the WMP codecs update from windows update?

I acually like WMP version 9.0 better,so far, but you could restore your computer to before you installed it to get rid of it (and everything else since then).

3. overbydt

overbydt Thread Starter

Thanks for your reply!

As far as I know I've got all the codec updates. I searched the Microsoft site for any updates and couldn't find anything.

I also tried changing file associations with no luck.

It's media like the Yahoo Music videos or any kind of streaming broadcast. Downloaded media appears to play fine.

Any other suggestions?

4. monted

monted

what exactly does it say when you try to stream video?
    does it do it when you stream audio?

Is there an error message?

Did you upgrade IE or anything else before this started happening?

5. overbydt

overbydt Thread Starter

I've solved the problem. I did as you suggested and did a system restore (luckily the install program for WMP9 prompts you save a checkpoint). I then uninstalled Real One Player and installed Real Player 8.0, then installed WMP 7.01. I had run a SpyBot program the other day, and I think it deleted a couple of things I needed, so I restored those. After installing WMP I ran a check for upgrade and found a needed codec. After downloading that, it all works again.:D

Thanks monted for your help! I had forgotten all about System Restore.

6. monted

monted

Good thing for system restore!

Well, I tried but I didn't help much.
    Thanks for posting back and letting me know, and glad you got it going again.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/113900

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice