1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Streaming video

Discussion in 'Software Development' started by Morania, Mar 15, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Morania

Morania Thread Starter

I tried last year to get help using a streaming video clip on my web site. There were no answers.
    Does anyone know how to get a video clip to play from a web site?

2. MustBNuts

MustBNuts

I have several videos (family stuff) on my own website. They are .wmv's and will stream decently for a broadband connection. For those using dial-up, I have a note suggesting they download first for better viewing.

All you have to do is reference the video file and make sure it's on the web server. The tricky part is the web server because most ISP's have a limit (mine is 25MB per email acct) so your vid has to be relatively small.

Give us more info on what exactly you're trying to do...

MBN

3. Morania

Morania Thread Starter

I'm after the code to tell the browser to open a media player rather than just download the file. I have an avi clip in my server. When I click the link, the computer just starts to download the file into my temporary folder and then plays it using my default clip player when it's finished downloading. I know there is code to tell it open using a player but cant' find any that works well. I've been to a number of sites.

4. MustBNuts

MustBNuts

Okay, I get it. If I'm not mistaken, though, this is a browser setting....

go to View>Explorer Bar>Media> then at the bottom you'll see media options, make sure there is a check by Settings>Play web media in the bar.

Let me know how this goes,

MBN

5. Rockn

Rockn

It will still download it unless it is streamed from the server.

6. Morania

Morania Thread Starter

So you don't know the code either.
    I may just have to get some software that will do the job for me.

7. MustBNuts

MustBNuts

Rockn, not sure that is entirely true. Like I said, I have several wmv's on my site and when clicked on, they stream and play in the media bar.

Now, they do end up being saved in cache (so subsequent plays will, theoretically, play faster), but they are not simply downloaded to my pc.

MBN

8. Rockn

Rockn

It may look like they are playing but if you look in your temp internet files they are cached there....DOWNLOADED. To stream you need a web server running a streaming application.

9. Morania

Morania Thread Starter

That's what I'm after. There must be a site out there with little bits of code that may be sent to a handy folder on my server.

That media player in the borwser is specific to the browser, more successful in XP. The streaming I'm after is for all browsers and is only in need of Media Player, Real Player as its vehicle.

10. Rockn

Rockn

It's not a "code" issue, it's a server issue. You can't write code to make the client side app stream media.

11. Morania

Morania Thread Starter

otherwise. They just don't have the exact instructions I need. My host can make any scripts happen but it has to have the right instructions.
    Thanks for the input.
    Gotta go.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/212040

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice