1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Streaming video

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by bigk, Sep 29, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bigk

bigk Thread Starter

Hey every one,

I'm on a 56k modem and not by choice. Well, I want to watch this video thats on the internet but my only choice is to stream it. Which it is very diffiuclt to stream video with a 56k modem phone line.

So when you get to the web site it provides a link to the video, then when you click on it, it pop ups another window and plays the video. Theres no way for me to actually right click "save target as" or right click "save link as" ect.

Got any ideas on how to save this video on my hard drive?

bigk:)

2. Moby

Moby

Streaming media is often already on your hard drive after you've watched it as it is downloaded to your 'temp internet files' folder.
    Before you have a look I would empty this folder first as it gets full fast so would make finding/identifying the file a little harder. View the folder contents by details and sort by file size, it should be near the top somewhere if it's there.

3. sidneyleve

sidneyleve

like the previous post said it does stream to yourr temp folders on your hard drive as long as you do not empty the folders they are still there. now on another note if your using media player you can add a streamed video to your media library to play anytime you like as long as your temp files arent clearedyou can even create a play list of these files to play in a specific order such that streaming media is legal as long as the source is legal

4. OneTimeOnly1

OneTimeOnly1

I found the streaming video temp file in my Internet temp folder. C:\Documents and Settings\Profile\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files. It was a (*.dat) file but I can't access the video. How do I convert the dat file so that I can play it as a video?

The actually stream was taken off by the website but I'm still able to access the video by entering the url but I can't capture the stream because the actual website took the feed down.

If there is no way to view and/or convert the dat file into video format is there a problem out there than can capture the information in the dat file so I can save the video on my harddrive. I'm using SDP right now (to capture the streaming video), but like I said I can't capture the feed from the website anymore, and I don't know how to point it to the dat file so I can capture it. The only way I can see the stream now is with windows media player (I clicked on a link I posted on another website back when the original link was working) because it gets the information from the dat file. I don't want to associate all the dat files with windows media player.

If no one nows how to convert the dat file into a video file is there a media viewer that can play streaming video dat files?

Hope that this is clear and understandable enough. BTW, I already tried changing the extension to (*.wmv), (*.asf), (*.mpg), and even (*.doc) and none of them worked.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/403262

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice