1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Strictly a printer problem; nothing to do with the computer.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Alex Ethridge, May 13, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge Thread Starter

I have an HP5 laser printer.

I have been recharging my own cartridges with great success until recently. After refilling the cartridge, I get good results for a while. Then a gradually an ever-increasing streak-smudge starts on the right hand side of the paper. Over the life of the cartridge, this gets continually wider and darker until the pages are about unusable. At this point, the toner is still about half full.

Anyone have any idea what causes this and if there is anything I can to to prevent it?

2. cybertech

cybertech Retired Moderator

Could be a bad fuser or the cartridge is bad.

3. Lurker1

Lurker1

Yes its probably time for a new toner cartriage.. The parts inside the cartriage wear out in time. I see lots of recycled (Refilled) toner cartriages here at work. About one in 6 has some kind of problem.

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Kinda seems like the corona wire is not doing its job. How many refills before this happens and are they HP cartridges? If the toner cartridge and drum are one unit it could be a powersupply problem, if seperate buy a new drum and toner. make sure the contacts between the drum/printer are clean too.

5. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Since it progresses as the cartridge is used, I'd suspect the cartridge. An easy way to find out is to invest in one new HP cartridge and see if the problem remains.

6. gws226

gws226

I think johnwill is right. If the fuser has gone bad (which is common on 5 and 3100 laser models) then it would always occur.

Buy a new cartridge. Before you install the new cartridge ensure there is no ink resin on any rollers (on the right hand side as well)

7. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge Thread Starter

I do know it is related directly to the toner cartridge as opposed to any other part of the printer as replacing the cartridge does solve the problem for a while; however, the problem reappears with the new cartridge after some time.

When I write "new cartridge", let me clarify that. I used to buy new HP cartridges; but, lately I have been getting recharged cartridges from my father-in-law after he emptied them. I will fill them and they work fine for a while. Then the problem starts.

I think I will go back to a new HP cartridge and see if the problem reoccurrs.

I still would like to know more about the intricate workings of this thing so I could fully understand exactly what is happening here. Personally, I'm beginning to think the refilled cartridges that come from the recharge company are of lower quality or they just have a lot of mileage on them.

8. Lurker1

Lurker1

Many refilled cartriages are just that. Refilled. All the rest of the parts like the gears, wiperblade, etc may be worn out and you really have no idea how many times the cartriage has been recycled. Its pretty much a cost vs quality issue. New is always best.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/133434

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice