1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Strictly Audio-Related Serious Event 9 Errors (The device, \Device\Ide\IdePort0...)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by RickDP, Nov 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. RickDP

RickDP Thread Starter

I have a 5-year-old Asus z70Va laptop. The hard drive is a PATA, and the system is running XP Home SP3. The problem I am about to describe started roughly a year ago, and has re-occurred at least 5-6 times.

I will be listening to audio (off the main hdd, not the DVD drive) when the problem starts -- usually streaming audio, though it has also happened twice when Outlook was playing a wav file as part of an Outlook rule I set up to flag emails from a particular sender. Interestingly, the error has *never* occurred when I have been playing a video file with audio.

What happens is that the music will sound as if it is getting "stuck" on one note or passage. It sounds distorted. It may pass quickly, but then will happen again ten-thirty minutes later, even if I stop and later restart the audio file (or stream). Once it recurs, I end up with this message in Event Viewer (System):

Event 9: The device, \Device\Ide\IdePort0, did not respond within the timeout period.

If I don't stop the audio immediately, the distorted and very discordant "stuck" audio continues, leading to a series of Event 9's before I can stop the player. But about every other time that happens, I *can't* stop the player; instead the computer freezes up (sometimes going to a BSOD), and when I restart I find that I now also have a series of bad block errors on a previously clean drive (usually 2 bad clusters).

So I end up replacing the drive, but then a month or two later the same thing happens all over again. In fact, I'm starting to lose count.

One other possible pertinent (and strange) factor: Every few weeks, my audio goes out completely, and I have learned that I have to gently "whack" the side of the pc, near where the sound board is, with the ball of my hand to get audio back. But I see absolutely NO timing correlation between these sound-goes-out episodes and the Event 9 issues I described. In fact, they're usually at least a week apart from each other.

I've searched and searched re Event 9, and have found no other reports where it is being related directly to the kind of audio symptoms that precede it for me (or audio at all, for that matter, except in the case of CD/DVD). Since I've replaced that hard drive numerous times now, I have to believe the Event-9 crashes are causing the (previously fresh and clean) hdd problems, rather than vice versa.

Any suggestions for diagnosis or things to try? I've checked to ensure that the Transfer Mode for the IDE Channel hasn't switched from "DMA if available" to PIO. Is my situation due perhaps a bad and/or poorly-seated audio board? I know I've seen suggestions that faulty cabling can cause Error 9's, but again a key point is that the error happens *exclusively* when audio is playing and does the distortion/stuck thing. I've never encountered the error at any other time.

Thanks.

2. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    The audio is just a coincidence, not a symptom.

Bad sectors are a sign of a hardware issue with the HDD. Software won't cause bad sectors on a HDD. I'd suspect a bad HDD. If you have replaced the HDD multiple times, then there is an underlying hardware issue (ie: motherboard/controller issue or power).

Also, if you have to "whack" anything, there is a hardware issue. It's typically a sign of a loose of faulty connection. Otherwise "whacking" it wouldn't do anything.

3. RickDP

RickDP Thread Starter

Thanks. That all makes sense, but are you suggesting that the hardware issue (such as a loose connection) could be in the audio board area of the laptop? Again, the Error 9 occurs exclusively when the audio becomes discordantly "stuck." I check the event viewer regularly, and I've never seen it at any other time. Yet it's been associated with these audio issues on and off for a year now. And with four (!) brand new hdd's, I've never had any bad sectors show up except immediately after one of those stuck-audio + Error 9 crashes.

One other thing: As I recall, the last 3-4 occurrences of audio-sticking + Error 9 were after the pc had been on for long periods and was pretty warm. (Earlier occurrences that involved Outlook-rule-initiated wav files were in the morning.) Conversely, the occurrences of audio going out completely (which don't generate any error messages or other issues) are almost exclusively upon first power-up for the day -- on average every 7-10 days, though it can vary a lot.

Thanks again. Obviously it looks a repair-shop visit (or pc replacement) is in my near future, but it helps to be armed with the best possible idea of what might be going on.

4. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    Anything is possible with electronics. With laptops everything is on the main board. So it's entirely possible when audio is in use, some power surge or whatever is affecting other parts of the board.

If it's not under warranty (and likely not on a 5 year old unit), it would very likely be more cost effective to simply replace it. But if you know someone or a shop that will look at it free or cheap, then it may be worth a shot.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1026191

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice