1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

stripes on screen at boot

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by 2weekG33K, Feb 9, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. 2weekG33K

2weekG33K Thread Starter

I have a work ticket in front of me related to a user seeing colored stripes flash on his screen during the boot process. I have seen them myself; they flash lines about an inch long, in horizontal columns, broken into small blocks of several distinct lines, seemingly patterned. I do not know what causes this, nor have I seen it before. Can someone please direct me to a cause for this? Thank you in advance.

Dell Latitude C5160 / C6160
    W2KP/sp4
    Netware 4.83/sp2
    PIII/1200MHz
    256 MB RAM
    20 GB HDD
    Mobility Radeon
    Novell ZENworks Remote Mgmt Driver

I leave this company on Friday for my permanent gig, but would like to resolve this, as it has passed through several hands with no successful resolution or reasoning behind it. Thanks again!

2. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

Does it boot into Windows or does it just sit there with colors on the screen?

Does it do it in safe mode?

3. 2weekG33K

2weekG33K Thread Starter

It does complete the boot process; this is just a flash of multi-colored stripes on a black background. It is completely random in its occurence. I booted several times and only saw it once. Thanks!

4. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

Maybe try a different set of drivers. I'd go for an older set as the new ones are aimed at the "higher" radeon chips.

http://mirror.ati.com/support/driver.html

I'd try the 4.6 or before just for grins.

5. 2weekG33K

2weekG33K Thread Starter

I am curious about the cause of this problem, but I'll try a new driver tomorrow. Thanks!

6. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

I have seen lower end cards actually crash the machine because of drivers, so yes it happens.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/328612

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice