1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

stripping audio from a digital camcorder

Discussion in 'Digital Photography & Imaging' started by isotonic_uk, Apr 26, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. isotonic_uk

isotonic_uk Thread Starter

Hi

I want to be able to strip the audio from my camcorder when downloading the movie to my pc, so I can use the audio track separately. Is this possible? is there a piece of software that will allow me to strip the audio.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

thanks.

2. MustBNuts

MustBNuts

If you have Windows XP, MovieMaker can do this - most editing softwares can do this. First, make sure you get the update from Microsoft (brings it up to Movie Maker 2).

In many of the editing packages, they default to a "storyboard" display, if you change it to "timeline", you will see the video separate from the audio. In the case of Movie Maker, in the bottom, left side there is an audio button; there you can set/adjust volume from video or other source (added sound effects/music). Even if you don't have other music, if you set it to that, it will effectively remove the audio from the video.

In apps like Ulead Media Studio, you can actually right click on the audio and split it from the vid and completely delete it.

You will then have to render your movie to save the changes.

Hope this helps,

MBN

3. isotonic_uk

I dont want to delete the audio completely, i just want to move it temporarliy somewhere else so i can use the audio elsewhere, Is this possible?

thanks

4. MustBNuts

MustBNuts

Okay, just not enough information. Are you looking to move the audio around within the same "project"? Or are you interested in being able to isolate the audio as a completely different file to be used completely independently....

MBN

5. acraftylady

acraftylady

I know nothing about video stuff but if you just want to capture the sound from the video to use else where you could use a program called all2wav recorder. It will record any sound on the computer and make a WAV out of it so you could play the movie on the computer and record the sound from it and have a WAV file to use, then you wouldn't have to strip anything from the movie. It's a free program that works great for recording streaming audio and such so maybe this would do. I am sure there is probably a better way someone will know of but I just thought I would pass this along.

http://www.naturpic.com/all2wav/

6. isotonic_uk

Hi I want to be able to use it within the same project,

hope this helps

7. MustBNuts

MustBNuts

Then you have one of two choices: if you have an editing app that is capable of splitting off the sound from the video, you can do that and just slide the audio to the spot you want. If you don't have an app with this capability, then acraftylady's suggestion is ideal for your purposes: capture the audio as a wav, then drop it into your project as a separate item.

If you are still unclear, just post back and let us know what kind of software you are using to edit.

MBN

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/224012

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice