1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Strong Signal No Connection.

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Tronethiel7, Jan 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Tronethiel7

Tronethiel7 Thread Starter

This problem has been persisting for a while now, ever since I set up wireless home network. I have have a WRT150N Linksys Router that gives off a perfectly strong and reliable signal I have the computer in my office effectively hardwired from the router and the computer in my son's room is connected to the network as well. For whatever reason, other than my son's computer, no other device will to the network. My phone, wii, and laptop all recognize the signal as being strong, but none of them will actually connect to the signal. I have considered that maybe the chimney which is in the center of the living room may be scrambling the signal, and my son's room is not in line with the chimney. Any other ideas or suggestions?

2. gyclone

gyclone

Is your son's connection wired or wireless? In other words, are any devices connecting wirelessly? If not, have you ever successfully connected wirelessly with any device and, if so, what was the device?

3. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Phones and laptops aren't too difficult to move, so you could test w/o the chimney in the path. Since you get a strong signal it is probably not causing a problem.

Try w/o encryption until you successfully connect.

You are not using MAC Address filtering (or Access Control) to lock yourself out, right?

If the laptop is running Windows please attach a screen shot of the Networks page of the Xirrus Wi-Fi Inspector. If a different OS you can still use a gadget or widget from that site to show some information about the environment.

4. Tronethiel7

Tronethiel7 Thread Starter

Currently the network is not password protected, and my son's computer is wirelessly connected to the network with a network adapter card. I find moving around makes no difference in my ability to connect any devices to the network, my son's desktop is the only one that can and will.

5. gyclone

gyclone

As TerryNet suggests some more information about your wifi environment and operating systems will help. It doesn't appear the operating system is the issue, since you have the problem with multiple devices, but we'll be able to give you much more detailed instructions when we know what operating system you are using, since the procedures will vary, depending on system.

If you haven't done the following things already, I recommend you do them now. They may resolve the issue and, if nothing else, we'll know that the basics have been attempted.

1. Shutdown all the devices that are unable to access the wifi
    2. Power off your wifi router. Unplug the power cable and disconnect the battery if it has one.
    3. Wait at least a full minute! This is very important. Most routers maintain power for at least several seconds and will not fully reset unless they are completely disconnected from the power for a good minute.
    4. Reconnect the power and turn the router back on
    5. After the router has fully initialized and appears ready, turn on whichever device or computer you most want to get connected (we should focus on one device at a time, until we determine the problem)
    6. Try to connect that device through normal means
    7. Post your results
    If you have already added your wifi network to your Preferred Networks list, I would delete it, so that we can re-add it from scratch and avoid any obscure, unexpected setting changes that may have occurred.

Also, you can use one of the machines that is connecting, either wired or wirelessly, to log directly into the router. Once there, you'll be able to view all the router settings. Most of them might not mean anything to you, yet, but look for an option to view "Attached Devices" or something to that effect. The devices that aren't connecting shouldn't appear there yet, but they may show up there before you appear to be truly connected from your computer. If no one ever changed the User Name and Password on your router, then the defaults should still be in place. I think they are both "admin" for that model, but they are probably printed on a sticker on the bottom or side of the unit, or you can google your model number and "default password". If the defaults are still in place, you should change them and write down the new values.

One last thing, a screen shot or exact description of the error you receive when trying to connect would also be very helpful.

Thanks!

6. simplefix123

simplefix123

dont the default gateway need to be the same as the host's computer? maybe you could see if thats the prob. i know it sounds crazy but my network card once messed up and when it was assigned auto ip address it was inncorrect. i dont know if this will help but i connected my wii and ps3 and laptop all with the same default gateway address and they all connected without a hitch.
    say for instance if the hosts ip is 192.xxx.x.x then the default gateway on the rest of the network needs to be the same. and each of the different systems running on the network need their own i.p. address and the same subnet

7. gyclone

gyclone

Thanks for the input, simplefix123! It is true that the IP addresses of the individual devices will start with the same first three octets and that the sub-net and gateway must be set correctly. They probably don't yet have IP addresses to be checked, but they could have connected just long enough to be given bad addresses, or could have addresses previously assigned from another network. Good thinking! We should definitely check the IP configuration of the devices.

To do that on the Windows computers, follow these steps:

1. Open cmd.exe
      1. Hold down the Windows key and your keyboard and hit the "R" key, or click Start, then Run
      2. type "cmd" (without quotes) into the box and hit ENTER or click OK
    2. In the cmd window, type "ipconfig /all" (without quotes, but note the space between ipconfig and /all)
    3. Do a print screen or copy and paste the results here.

8. Jason_Jiang

Jason_Jiang

You may try to change the wireless settings on the router,such as the wireless channel. Get this help from Linksys Support.

9. simplefix123

simplefix123

i was having this same issue tryin to share my connection because i have a 3g card. but after days and days of drinking coffee and staying up as late as i could, it was the default gateway that was giving me the trouble. lol

10. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    One possible reason (the most common IMO) that only one device is able to connect via Wi-Fi is because the router is using MAC Address filtering (or MAC Address control, or some similar terminology) to allow only the MAC address of that device's wireless adapter. The obvious and by far best fix for this is to disable that feature, which is sometimes still falsely advertised as security.

Another possibility is that the router's Subnet Mask or Dhcp server's address range is set so low that only very few devices can simultaneously connect.

Yet another possibility, that simplefix123 raises, is that invalid static IP configurations are being used on most of the devices. If the laptop that is having trouble is running a Windows OS you could show the following to check on this possibility.

Start, Run, CMD, OK to open a command prompt:
    (For Vista or 7 type CMD in the Search box after Start)

Type the following command:

IPCONFIG /ALL

[Note that there is no space between the slash and ALL.]

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter.
    Paste the results in a message here.

If necessary use a text file and removable media to copy the results to a computer with internet access.

The Xirrus output can also sometimes reveal issues.

This post is meant to summarize the possibilities we've raised above, and should not distract from gyclone's post # 5 procedural advice.

11. simplefix123

simplefix123

i always had trouble with the routers auto config options. i always set my own static ips and gateways.
    sorry if i am leading you off the path m8, but i have had alot of trobles with wireless routers and netwroking stuff to them. it says obtain ip automatically, that doesnt mean its gonna be right :p

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!