1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Strong signal, slow internet connectivity(varies)

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Hummel, Aug 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Hummel

Hummel Thread Starter

Hello,
    I experience huge problem with my internet connection. It started 2 months ago when speed all of a sudden drops to 2-5 mb/s when its suppose to be ~30 mb/s. I called Cable and they sent me technician 3 TIMES and it seemed like I know more than they do hardware related. First time guy swapped modems with the newest that increased my speed by ~7 mb/s but the issue was there on the other day. So I called them again and on the next day speed was fine when he came, checked all of my connections and the signal was great. As soon as he left speed dropped 10 times. So 3rd time technician came and the speed was ~3 mb/s - he checked signal and it was 7 with 9 being highest. The speed went back to normal right in front of him, he swapped modems with the older version of modem. I ruled out the possibility of the problem being a router as I have bad speed when connected directly through modem and also my computer as I reinstalled OS and ran speed test on other computer with same results. I still experience this issue and hope that you might help me. Here is a screenshot with my speedtest results http://img829.imageshack.us/img829/8113/16154317.png
    Thank You.

2. Frank4d

Frank4d Retired Trusted Advisor

See if you can access the modem by typing its IP address in your web browser address bar. The IP address is usually 192.168.100.1

What does it show for downstream power and signal to noise ratio, and upstream power? Are the numbers relatively stable over time?

3. Hummel

Hummel Thread Starter

I tried it before but it needs login and password.

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    What's the brand and model of the modem?

5. Hummel

Hummel Thread Starter

Motorola sbv5120

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Oh, a VoIP modem.The manual doesn't say anything about a login/password. Are you leasing the modem from your ISP, and they are controlling the login/password?

7. Hummel

Hummel Thread Starter

When technician came couple of days ago he went to 192.168.100.1 and everything was good including signal while speed was ~3mb/s. I think he connected to it through https;... He never put login or password. Anything you can suggest?

8. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Since you are getting the same intermittent problem with multiple modems it's probably not a modem issue. That leaves, in my mind, two broad areas ...

a. bad connection or cable;
    b. some other ISP problem.

If you could get that data Frank requested we could at least make a better guess between those two areas.

When I have a problem with a connection I completely lose internet access, but it could just slow things badly. You can check all the connections in your reach from the modem back to the outside where your cable meets the cable company's. Remove each connection and then reconnect it securely. Pay particular attention to the ground wire/connection outside. Also look for any cables that could be affected by being walked on, chewed on, blown by the wind, etc.

Otherwise, keep bugging your ISP. Especially good if you can catch them during a problem time--they may be able to run a test right then to help them isolate the issue.

9. Hummel

Hummel Thread Starter

Ok, I googled for password and able to acess that info - http://img52.imageshack.us/img52/9861/13091166.png . The strangest thing is when I contact them and they run tests while I have bad speed they tell me that everything is great and no problems occur on their side.

10. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

When you're having trouble, please run this test.

Register at DSLReports and run their Line Quality Tests. It's best to run this test with a direct wired connection to eliminate any wireless issues from the results. It's useful many times to run this test several times, and we'd like to see each of the results. Post the results link from the top of the test display page for each test run here.

The link to post is near the top of the page and looks like:

If you wish to post this result to a forum, please copy/paste this URL
    http://www.dslreports.com/linequality/nil/2357195 <- sample only, yours will obviously be different!
    and your IP will be disguised.

Copy/paste that link here.

Note: You will have to enable PING (ICMP) request response either in your router (if you have one), or in your computer's firewall for direct modem connections. This is very important to get the most important part of the test to run.

DSLReports

Here's also the Line Quality Tests FAQ to help you understand the results. This will answer some questions about the line quality display.

11. Frank4d

Frank4d Retired Trusted Advisor

Check it every half hour or so, especially when you are having a problem. As long as the dowstream SNR and power levels don't vary widely then that isn't the problem.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/940055

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice