1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Strong wifi signal, but no webpage access

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by prefermyimac, Feb 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. prefermyimac

prefermyimac Thread Starter

I have a strong WiFi signal, but cannot access any webpages from my Dell desktop (Windows Vista Home edition). Recently installed Norton Internet Security 2009 which seems to have been a complicating factor, but turning off firewall, etc. does not solve problem. After reading on-line support postings on Dell website tried a few different things, but no success, e.g. ran "network diagnostics" - found no issues; opened Internet Explorer with no add-ons - no help; from command prompt, ran "dns flush" - no change in performance. The signal strength from wireless router is "excellent", and iMac in other room connects to internet without any problems. Any suggestions???:confused:

2. horsecharles

horsecharles

Went through something similar once on Roadrunner-- access didn't return until firewall was uninstalled(disabling it not enough)-- only difference was zone alarm.

Only other thing i can think of is router settings...

3. prefermyimac

Thanks for your input. Just tried uninstall of Norton Internet Security with no effect. As computer rebooted, I still got a message indicating the computer thinks it is not connected to the internet, even though my wireless connection strength continues to be excellent.

4. JPLamb

JPLamb

do you have any Parental security Software installed which maybe stopping your internet connection.

Are you able to Ping any websites?

JPLamb

5. prefermyimac

I had not installed any parental control settings. Have not tried to ping....because I am not sure how one does that. Presumably from command prompt: ping _____ ? Internet connection had worked fine with this computer up until couple weeks ago, although occasionally slow. Once I installed Norton is when the real problems began. However, uninstallying today didn't seem to have any impact.

6. karbo

karbo Banned

Norton isn't easy to get rid of. May I suggest you try the Norton Removal Tool?

I hope you'll have another AV to back you up before going on the Web? You can try free AV like Avast or AVG while you decide which one you'll adopt for good.

7. JPLamb

JPLamb

sounds like Norton is your problem, also have you looked in the internet options settings? check to see if it is trying to use a different connection for your internet

8. horsecharles

horsecharles

I was thinking the same thing as karbo and JPLamb, but didn't want to say it :eek:

But yeah, Norton can be such a pain-- historically, symantec products have even clashed with each other.... that removal tool is the only way to ascertain for sure....

And just to totally eliminate basic causes--

How do you have your router set up as far as allowing wireless access to other computers?

When you go into your router's settings page-- is the desktop in question "listed as connected"...and your Mac....

The Mac is actually connected to your router and not someone else's...

Other computers are wired to router with no problems ...OR....If you could somehow run a cable from desktop to router...does the problem disappear...

In other words, trying to disqualify some wireless setting / router itself as causes...

9. prefermyimac

I did wire my Dell directly to the DSL modem and the connection is working fine with that configuration. I guess this implies that settings somewhere that effect the wifi - PC connection need to be adjusted. My iMac did not have any connection problems with the wifi connection, and this PC had been connecting fine up until couple weeks ago when NIS 2009 was installed. I have been using a Linksys Wireless-G (model WRT54GS). Because of computer locations, phone jacks, etc. I would still like to get the PC back on to a wireless connection. (Remember I have an iMac in another room that also needs to access the wireless router.)

I had also removed several programs using the "Perfect Uninstaller" to try to clean up the PC, and I have downloaded AVG to protect my computer now that the Norton is gone. But I continued to have the same problems with connectivity until I hardwired the connection.

Any suggestions on troubleshooting the relationship between PC and Linksys router?:confused:

10. horsecharles

horsecharles

┬┐Have you fiddled with router settings page? http://192.168.0.1/

Ton of settings there.... like say, wireless mac filter..... you could have allow ONLY these devices... or conversely-- block the following devices... or allow anyone / device....

http://192.168.0.1/DHCPTable.asp lists all current active devices / connections

here you will find any access restrictions in place: http://192.168.0.1/Filters.asp

does pc in question have access pw & ssid correct.......

Add router / computer to NIS trusted zone....

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/797349

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice