1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Strong WiFi Signal, No Connection...

Discussion in 'Networking' started by DMH1083, Aug 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DMH1083

DMH1083 Thread Starter

Hello Everybody,

I just got a job at a School district that has an extremly old and basic network setup (No Firewall, only 2 accounts on the server Student and Teacher). They have two small buildings that have 1 wireless router on each floor about in the middle of the hallway.

I am having a strange issue I haven't seen before with a windows 7 laptop that a few of the teachers in the district are having. They can see the wireless router on the network but everytime they try and connect it says "Windows Cannot Connect or is Denied Access". All the other laptops in the building connect fine.

Heres what I have done so far.

-Power cycled the router, nothing.
    -ipconfig /release, and renew, nothing.
    -Getting closer to the router and connecting, nothing. (Also tried with a differant laptop in the room and it could connect no problem which confused me more)
    -Updating the network card.(says it has the latest updates)
    -Re-entering the network key, nothing

What I haven't tried is setting up manually a static IP. But do I need to do that? And if so how do I know which IP to give it is there a way I can generate a list of all the IP's on the network?

I appreciate any help, I AM STUMPED!

Thanks

-David

2. Techy1234

Techy1234

Hello DMH

In regard to your issue, could you please provide us with an ipconfig /all from a computer that is connecting ok and also an ipconfig /all from a computer that is not connecting ok. This is just for our reference to start off with.

What OS and antivirus software are these laptops using?

3. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Also ...

Please attach a screen shot of the Networks page (don't collapse the Radar, Connection or Signal History) of the Xirrus Wi-Fi Inspector. If you need help with that see TSG Posting a Screenshot. FWIW to take screen shots with Windows 7 or Vista I prefer to use the built-in Snipping Tool.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1066876

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice