1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Struggling Novice

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Jeffyhog, Jul 11, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Jeffyhog

Jeffyhog Thread Starter

Hello, Techies

Here's my problem. (My old hard drive went kaput; we'll talk slave issues later.) For now, however, here's what's wrong: I bought a new 80G hard drive (Seagate), and after much cussing and wrangling, finally got XPPro to load. However, my system only recognizes a "C" drive; neither my cd/rom nor my cd burner are showing up as being in my system. I have no partitions (that I know of; I am a novice...ok, rank amateur). How do I get my computer to recognize the other drives? Thanks a million in advance.

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

Are they seen in Device Manager?

3. Elvandil

Elvandil

4. Jeffyhog

Jeffyhog Thread Starter

No, the only thing in device manager is, under disk drives, is "ST380013A". Whatever that means.

5. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    "ST380013A" is the model of the Seagate hard drive.

All optical drives appear under their heading of DVD/CD-ROM DRIVES. If they don't appea in Device Manager then check the cabling and Master/Slave jumpers on the back of each drive.

Does the BIOS see the optical drives when the computer first starts and list all the hardware?

6. Jeffyhog

Jeffyhog Thread Starter

Thanks, guys! It looks like they're back now, after using
    http://users.adelphia.net/~abraxas/dl/CD_DVD_NotShowing_XP.zip. I cannot thank you enough for your help and support. Call me if your motorcycle ever breaks down. I can fix those, but computers are a different type of machine. I still need to get used to them. Again, thank you!

7. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Did you use the software that came with the drive to "prepare" it? I had one of these a few months ago that drove me just about crazy. The drive overlay was preventing xps from "seeing" any other drives. Once removed, it was fine.

8. Elvandil

Elvandil

My bike runs fine, but I'm taking out the gas tank from my car today to replace the fuel pump if you're in the area :D.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/249025

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice