1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Struggling to power on, strange LED flashing on motherboard

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Amoeba, Feb 1, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Amoeba

Amoeba Thread Starter

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
    Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) II X4 630 Processor, AMD64 Family 16 Model 5 Stepping 2
    Processor Count: 4
    RAM: 8105 Mb
    Graphics Card: AMD Radeon HD 6670, 1024 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 953766 MB, Free - 794103 MB;
    Motherboard: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC., M5A97 R2.0
    Antivirus: avast! Antivirus, Updated and Enabled

Hi, I've had this problem intermittently for a few days but it just got stranger this morning...

Occasionally when I try to power on my computer (either just after powering off or after a long time of being off) it just won't do anything. I switched the PSU switch off and on again the first few times it happened and that resolved it, figuring I should buy another PSU just in case, even for backup. Still saving for it. This morning it went weird where it still wouldn't power on, but the motherboard light was on, and there as an additional light that kept flashing in flashes of three, when I looked it up in the manual it says it's the "BIOS Flashback LED (FLBK_LED) The FLBK LED lights when the USB Flashback button is pressed for three seconds." I wasn't touching the button and it was still flashing.

Then just was I was peering in to try and make any sense of what I was seeing, the whole thing switched on by itself and sprung to life! I have never had a computer switch on by itself with me before.

Does this sound like imminent PSU failure or could there be something else going on with that flashy LED? Why would my computer just come on by itself like that?

Please be kind I'm not very tech savvy and won't understand if you use a lot of technical terminology.

2. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    Whenever I've seen switching the power supply off and back on resolve the problem, it was the result of a failing/faulty PSU.

3. Amoeba

Amoeba Thread Starter

That's what I was thinking at first. With a little more investigation I'm beginning to think it's the motherboard though. When the motherboard's standby light is on for more than a few seconds (basically if I switch the computer on at the mains but don't hit the power switch on the case right afterwards) that FLBK_LED starts blinking and when that happens the computer can't power on. I don't know why it would start doing this all of a sudden. I was able to find a few people with ASUS motherboards with similar problems, but with no replies or solutions posted.

Does anyone recognize this problem and how to fix it or is this going to be a case of contacting ASUS customer support? It's still under warranty I think.

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

The M5A97 R2.0 from asus has been problem prone at best. It is basically a cheaper version of the 990fx boards. If you look at the number of bios/uefi updates for that board on the support page, you will see a LOT of updates; some of them only 2~3weeks after the previous one. This is often done to attempt to fix a problem and or design issue.

With that said, it does sound like a pw supply problem from what you have posted. Post your exact pw supply. Note do not post "500W" post the exact make and model ie corsair xxx123 or whatever.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1142243

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice