Stubborn 128 MB microSD card

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Rofan

I know... but I get these things for free, and use them to distribute sensitive information between doctors and hospitals and patients. I never see them again (the SD cards) i use them for a one-off throw-away distribution medium. However, I have one that is being stubborn. Current read-only State is stuck in YES.

I am running diskpart 6.3.9600 on Windows 8.1

Any suggestions? These old buggers are getting scarce, and I'd like to use what I have.

Rofan

Installed on the second try, still won'r format. Write protect error.

plodr

Liz
Next try this:
On the opposite side of the SD card from the switch, there is a tiny "Notch" cut out. Place a piece of tape, masking, electrical, over the notch, but not over the brass connector on the opposite side. Then place it in your card reader, and try to format it.

valis

Next try this:
On the opposite side of the SD card from the switch, there is a tiny "Notch" cut out. Place a piece of tape, masking, electrical, over the notch, but not over the brass connector on the opposite side. Then place it in your card reader, and try to format it.
man, the tech we use to get around things. I seem to recall doing this with VHS back in the day.

Rofan

Ouch! I totally forgot about that. It worked!

Chalk it up to experience....

You guys are great.

THANXALOT

Rofan

These little uSD cards are nifty. They're free, and so much less cumbersome than floppies or CD's, amazing.

valis

well, not free, per se, but it certainly works in your situation. :)

glad it's sorted.

Rofan

Oops! Not so fast, I'm afraid. It didn't work on the second one - the 128 MB. I formatted the 8 GB one by mistake. But it was empty, anyway.... still need to crack the 128 MB card. It's a microSD, not a miniSD. No switch. Covering the notch did nothing .... :{

Rofan

It's trivial... yet it bugs me. These little gems are getting scarce, but they're free, what the heck...

plodr

Liz
They are almost TOO small and easy to lose.
All sd cards are kept in a zippered case for storage when they are not in a device. The micros are in plastic cases, usually with an sd holder.

Put the μsd in another holder just be sure it is not the holder. I had a holder go bad on me and threw it out.

Third try:
Open Command Prompt and type: diskpart then enter

*To be especially safe, I'd probably right click cmd and run as administrator
Type: list disk then enter

Type: select disk 1 to select your sd card then enter

Type: attributes disk clear readonly then enter
Type exit then enter to close the cmd box window
Right click on the μsd card and click Format

plodr

Liz
Every time I try and edit the above post I get a blank window!!!
I want to place a space between enterType and move the sentence to the next line but the window comes up completely blank.

valis

Liz, looks perfect on my end.....and yes, I can still edit if necessary......

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online