1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Stubborn files in Internet Temp Folder.

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by swrobbie, Jul 29, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. swrobbie

swrobbie Thread Starter

I just bought a used laptop (Inspiron 5160) from a salesman who worked for my father. I am in the process of cleaning it out and found that he was a fan of the online poker websites. I have many files in the Internet Temp Folder form these sites that will not delete. How do I remove these files? Steve

2. MFDnNC

MFDnNC

DownLoad EasyCleaner http://www.majorgeeks.com/download414.html

Use the clear files and Unnecessary files buttons – I do not recommend
    using the Duplicates files button
    as many dupes are there on purpose.

Not all files will delete – that is normal.

In the unnecessary button I check the top 4 entries
    ==================
    it may be infected - can you list the files

3. Sparrow

Sparrow

With the situation you have, best to erase and format the drive or use
    the CD for reinstalling (If you have that type of system). (IMO)

True, possibly the EasyCleaner will do the job.
    But, going with a clean drive would make things easier over all.

4. Jimmy the Hand

Jimmy the Hand

It's only a feeling, but "online poker websites" don't sound very trustworthy. I would consider making a thorough scan for spyware and viruses.
    Also, you can try a freeware called "mstIsUsedBy" to determine which processes are using those files you can't delete. You can then google research these processes to see what they are. Killing them usually allows to delete the files they are using.

But otherwise I agree with Sparrow. If you don't need the laptop in its present state and config, it's best to wipe it clean.

5. Brin

Brin

Yea, formatting the drive does sound like a great piece of advice.

However, if you don't want to, you can also delete any file you want by restarting the system in safe mode. I think you press F12 while the computer is starting up... Google it and you'll find a nice article.

Also, if you go into safe mode your screen might look kinda weird (resolution) keep the current resolution in mind, and when you startup normally you might have to set it back to normal.

btw, I dunno if this is what others would suggest, just something I use to delete stubborn files, and I never have problems with it :)

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!