Stubborn folder won't delete!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

janlafata

I have a folder (C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office) that won't delete. I get an error message about something to do with "A BIN file is not empty". Unless there is a super-duper utilty that would get rid of folders like that (which I would prefer) I know that I probably have to use the DEL command in Command Prompt. Could you please tell me exactly how to enter that and give a detailed example cause' I always mess it up! By the way I am no longer using Microsoft Office and also I tried unsuccessfully to delete it in safe mode

janlafata

I tried reinstalling Microsoft Office then uninstalled but it didn't work. I really would like to learn that DEL command though if you know it. Once again, in detail. The stubborn folder is C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office

valis

the del command is just that, del. navigate to the parent folder, such as c:windows/program files, and type in del windows office. If you can't do it in safe mode, tho, you are not going to be able to do it in dos.

[email protected] deletes the file when rebooting. You select the file and it asks to reboot, once rebboted the file is gone. It will not delete a folder but I expect it is due to some files in the folder that are causing the problem, if so delete then using this program, then delete the folder as normal. The [email protected] utility is actually freeware. Ive found a link to the [email protected] utility as the other link is for a bunch of utilities that are shareware.

http://www.gibinsoft.net/gipoutils/bin/moveonb.exe

janlafata

Yes I've actually used GiPo Move On Boot before but the problem is there are no files in the folder. There are just three or four folders with no files in them that won't delete
so I'm back to square one here. I also still can't believe that there ins't some kind of utilty out there that deletes unwanted folders. What say we get our experts in on this one and do a big search.

Until then I still would like to try that DEL command

awalker0878

Removed by request
try this:
start/run/cmd
type
rmdir /S "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office"

Hope this helps

valis

valis said:
the del command is just that, del. navigate to the parent folder, such as c:windows/program files, and type in del windows office. If you can't do it in safe mode, tho, you are not going to be able to do it in dos.

awalker0878

Removed by request
I had the same problem valis and this worked for me, plus rmdir is a different comand than the del command

start/run/cmd
type
rmdir /S "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office"

valis

it most certainly is, and very probably could work where del does not. I was simply responding to his quote 'Until then I still would like to try that DEL command'.

Probably should've used the quote button, but that requires another click, and apparently I'm opening hte new year lazily. ;)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online