1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Stubborn IE Popups

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by firemaple1170, Apr 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. firemaple1170

firemaple1170 Thread Starter

I have a relatively new (3 months) netbook (an AspireOne) running XP and can't seem to get rid of some irritating pop ups. I'm not positive that the issue came with the computer but I've had the issue for as long as I've owned the PC. The message always comes up in a popup identified as Microsoft Internet Explorer. The thing is, I use Chrome exclusively. In fact, I removed IE shortly after discovering the issue since I wasn't using it anyway and iexplorer is not a running process in taskman. I run Avast as my AV, Spybot S&D, and even installed Windows Defender in a vain attempt to fix this issue. All three are updated and all three come up clean as a whistle.

The message has been different in the past, the current message reads:
    Are you sure you want to navigate away from this page?
    Click CANCEL
    etc etc etc​

Does anyone have any ideas on what I should look for at this point? I included my procexplorer log as well, perhaps I'm missing the process that is causing the trouble.

Attached Files:

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!