Stubborn PC, nickel and diming it

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

HighTwi

I don't assume any technological intelligence when it comes to computers, but I know some basics (I guess.)

System Specs first and foremost.
WINDOWS 10 OS
AMD FX8350
AMD R9 290X (assumed inoperable)
AMD R9 270X (the replacement)
CX 750M Power supply
2TB HDD
H60 Cooler
16(?) GB RAM
(As for my motherboard model, I'll try to get back to y'all on that.)

This past March, my computer, out of nowhere, while I stepped away from it, shut off and would not turn on, no matter what I did to troubleshoot. The only program I was using at the time was Chrome. I figured it was the PSU and decided to get a new one, since it was 3 years old. The new one did nothing. The PC wouldn't power on. I tried a different CPU a friend had sent me. Nothing still. Tried getting a refurbished motherboard (I am very much broke, my friend in Texas has been assisting me in fixing it). Now the PC will power on, but no display from my R9 290X. So then I assume THAT is bad, and I'm already drained at this point (it is now the month of May), my friend sends me a 270X to try to see if it would work then. No display. Tried HDMI and the standard monitor cable. The GPU'S fans will spin and the PC turns on, but there is just no display.

I don't know if static caused a short or whatever.

At this point, my friend might send me a laptop instead, but I'd rather fix this heap as soon as possible. Again, I can't afford new or even used or refurbished hardware as I can't work. I need help in trying to get this thing to run properly again. When it was in its prime, it was awesome. Now, with the winter months near, I'd like to address this PC one last time before calling it quits. This is the first time I'm asking for advice and help for this.

crjdriver

Honestly it is not cost effective to fix 7yr old hardware. The 8350 was released in Oct of 2012. I had one of those processors way back when and really they were inferior to the intels of that era.
Up to you if you want to attempt to fix however you are going to need known good parts with which to swap in order to find the failed part.

HighTwi

Honestly it is not cost effective to fix 7yr old hardware. The 8350 was released in Oct of 2012. I had one of those processors way back when and really they were inferior to the intels of that era.
Up to you if you want to attempt to fix however you are going to need known good parts with which to swap in order to find the failed part.
My other option is using a spare FX8320. At this point, I'm wondering if its profitable to part it off.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online