1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Stuck at "Verifying DMI pool data" After installing new GPU

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by SheepySheepy, Jan 9, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. SheepySheepy

SheepySheepy Thread Starter

After having a AMD Radeon HD 6450 for about a year, I finally got the cash to buy a new card. I got a Nvidia GTX 760. So I popped it in and did what was needed. While installing the new drivers, I restarted my computer since it was needed, But once I did, It was stuck on the "Verifying DMI pool data" screen. At first I just let it stay there for a few minutes, Maybe it was a slow boot up. But no, It was definitely stuck on that screen. I restarted the computer and checked the BIOS and I noticed that that screen froze up as soon as it opened. I was pretty confused at this point and turned the computer off, and checked all the wiring to make sure everything is hooked up properly. So I decided to pop the old card back in to see if that worked, and it did. Had no troubles at all. So it's what Im using for now until I can get this problem fixed. After browsing through the internet for about a week or so, I couldn't find a solution to my problem yet. Im not the biggest computer expert, So maybe I could be missing something that I don't know about. But so far it's nothing I could find.

Current Build.
    CPU --- AMD FX(tm)-4100 Quad-Core Processor
    PSU --- evga SuperNOVA 850 G2
    MotherBoard --- gigabyte GA-78LMT-S2
    OS --- Windows 8.1 64 bit
    RAM --- 8gb

2. geek117

geek117

If you try booting the system with the old video card, does it boot ok? If so, can you boot the system with it and uninstall the AMD drivers?

Otherwise, clear your CMOS and try again. Once you're able to get the OS to boot, boot to Safe Mode (http://www.7tutorials.com/5-ways-boot-safe-mode-windows-8-windows-81) and see if the OS boots ok. If it does, go ahead and (from the Device Manager) uninstall the display drivers for the AMD video card. If you don't see the AMD device in the Device Manager, follow this procedure (this should work for all versions of Windows):

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315539

3. SheepySheepy

Everything boots up with the old card. Uninstalled the AMD drivers but the new card still gets stuck at verifying dmi pool data.

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Go back and recheck that the new card is fully seated in the pci-e slot. I have seen numerous instances where the tang on the end of the card that is supposed to slide down between the board and case hangs on the mb and the card does not fully seat in the slot.

If you are sure the card is fully seated, you may just have a bad card. I checked the specs on your mb and pw supply and I see no reason why it would not work. One item I did notice is that win8.1 is not a supported os for your mb. Win8 yes, 8.1 no. That is not causing your problem since it is hanging prior to windows loading however do be aware that your os is not supported.

5. geek117

geek117

Have you tried clearing the CMOS yet?

6. SheepySheepy

I have tried clearing the CMOS. And I made sure that the gtx card was fully seated in the pci-e slot. It could be a bad card, but the computer does recognize the card is in. It worked the first time to install the drivers, and after the restart, it just stopped. And when I pop the card in and accidentally forget to hook up the pci cables for it, it does recognize the card is in and gives me a message saying that I didn't hook up the cables. If it comes to it, I can send the card back in hopes of a new one but I rather try to see if it's an external problem first.

7. geek117

geek117

If it worked up to the point that you installed the Nvidia drivers, perhaps you should also uninstall (and delete) those from Safe Mode, and then try to boot the system with the Nvidia card physically installed.

If you had a spare harddrive, you could simply disconnect your current harddrive, install the spare, and try to install a fresh copy of your OS on the computer using the Nvidia card. If all is well, this would rule out the "faulty card" theory and point back to a simple driver issue.

8. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

If it hangs where the poster says it hangs, drivers have nothing to do with the issue. No driver loads until the mb completes POST and windows begins to load. The board is not completing post so I highly doubt that drivers are causing this issue.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1140888

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice