Stuck In Login Loop

ehbowen

I'm not overly experienced with Linux or its command line. But one of the Linux computers I manage at my church is stuck in a 'login loop'. It accepts my password without an error message, but then immediately turns around and asks me to log in again. I found some references to this on line, but they all called for breaking out of the loop and then entering terminal commands by either logging in via tty1, tty3, or in Recovery Mode. I've tried all of these, and they all without fail put me back into the login loop. I cannot enter any commands.

One thing which does work is booting from my original Ubuntu Studio 20.04.2 LTS installation disk. (Computer version is now Ubuntu Studio 20.04.4 LTS) When I boot from DVD-ROM without installing I can see my hard drive and file structure. But I haven't tried making any changes this way, because I'm not exactly sure what I'm doing. That's why I'm here asking for suggestions.

If push comes to shove there is very little important information on this computer and that which is important is almost entirely backed up to our NAS. But I'd like to see if I can break out of the loop and correct matters without needing a complete re-install. Suggestions?

Note: I can't get onto the computer to check the configuration. But it's an HP tower, about 10 years old, with a 1 TB hard disk drive less than 10% used. The computer's major purpose is to run OBS Studio to record and live stream our worship services. I'm away from the building right now (home sick), but if additional information is needed I'll try to provide it.

You will likely need to use your Ubuntu Studio 20.04.2 LTS installation disk to access your user account files to back them up. Before considering a fresh reinstall of the OS, I would strongly recommend taking the computer to a computer repair shop which can repair Linux computer systems since you may not need to have the OS reinstalled.

mohittomar13

Mohit Tomar
Hi

Thanks for seeking my help, but actually I'm at a remote place near The Himalayas with our Yoga Guru with very limited network connectivity. I also didn't bring my laptop with me. Though there is one laptop at the Yoga Temple but there is no connectivity there. The Guru had humbly requested us to give up electronic gadgets for at least a month, but I couldn't resist after @PeterOz 's request. 😂🤣🤣

Coming to the solution of the problem now.

When we login to Ubuntu the operating system reads various configuration files stored in the root and root's sub-directories. If any of those configuration files contains information that is not correct then the login is cancelled and the user is brought back to the login page. This is a safety measures to ensure that the data does not get corrupt. Now the problem is, that there are hundreds of these configuration files present in any typical Ubuntu installation. While theoretically the problem that you are facing could be solved but it would require a thorough examination of the system to find out the cause of login failure.

You can drop to the root shell from the GRUB menu and then look for errors in:
/var/log/syslog
/var/log/messages

But again it will require a lot of time.

For your convenience I am including some links where you might find the possible solution.

https://sourcedigit.com/25447-how-to-fix-the-ubuntu-login-loop-problem/

https://askubuntu.com/questions/223501/ubuntu-gets-stuck-in-a-login-loop

https://www.maketecheasier.com/fix-ubuntu-login-loop/?amp

https://techsphinx.com/linux/fix-ubuntu-login-loop/

Most probably you must find a solution in one of the the links given above. But if it seems a lot of work then you can go for a reinstall.

I am sorry that I couldn't be of much help to you. In fact I am replying using my mobile phone standing in the middle of the market where I found a little network connectivity. 😎😎 We come to the market only in the morning to buy some vegetables.😀😀

Thank You Mohittomar
I am very sorry I interrupted your retreat.😢
Enjoy the Yoga and see you back at some time.
Cheers
PeterOz

mohittomar13

Mohit Tomar
I am very sorry I interrupted your retreat.😢
It is alright. 😀😀 I anyway use my phone everyday for sending work emails. 🤣🤣. I came to the Himalayas not just for yoga but to also escape from the new Corona variant Omicron that is spreading too fast here in India. 👍👍

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online