stuck in ms dos

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

bishop810

My OS is win 98. I am stuck in ms dos mode and cannot get out. When I restart my computer, it goes to ms dos mode and I cannot exit out and get back to windows. Please help. I have tried typing the following commands and none have worked.
exit
win
win98
This is my kids pc and until I get it fixed, they are on mine.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Hi,
try starting in Safe Mode.

Constantly tap f8 on bootup - you will be given a number of options - select Safe Mode. Let the system boot up then shut it down normally via Start etc.

If f8 doesn't work try holding down CTRL key to get you to the Startup menu.

Edit:

Sorry - forgot my manners - welcome to TSG :)

[tsg=welcome] Welcome to TSG! [/tsg]

If you can't start in safe mode, then just type SCANREG /RESTORE and hit "Enter". You will be given a list of dates... pick one before the problem started (but not the oldest one). This will restore an earlier version of your registry.

bishop810

Thanks,
tried both of these but it still comes back to
Windows is now starting your ms dos program
then other info
then c promt
Any other ideas

bishop810

Thanks,
tried both of these but it still comes back to
Windows is now starting your ms dos program
then other info
then c promt
Any other ideas

Do you have something like Norton SystemWorks or AntiVirus that came with a bootable CD? If so, use that and boot from the CD and do a virus scan.

What happens when you type in the "exit" command?

At the dos prompt type edit config.sys (space after edit)

Do you have DOS=Single showing - if so put REM before it - this disables it.

Save and reboot.

There are only 3 possibilities for this that I know of. Entries in autoexec.bat or config.sys -- both of which should be bypassed in a Safe Mode boot. You can also boot to the command prompt and enter:

ren autoexec.bat autoexec.xxx
ren configsys config.xxx

and that will put the kybosh on those

Or the entry mentioned in c:\msdos.sys

Make sure the msdos.sys file you checked is on the root directory. There may be another that is actually not active in c:\windows

At the c:\ prompt type and enter:

attrib -s -h -r msdos.sys
edit msdos.sys

Look for BootGui=0 and change it to BootGui=1

and save the file

bishop810

Thanks for everyones suggestions. I have a friend coming tomorrow to help me dump everything and reload windows. She tried several things that didn't work either so we thought this might be the easiest thing to do.
Thanks to all who replied. I really appreciate it.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online