1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

stuck in MSDOS!

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by karenparmar, Dec 22, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. karenparmar

karenparmar Thread Starter

After trying to install a DOS programme via Windows 98SE, somehow we have got ourselves stuck in MSDOS mode. The only way we can now exit this is to start the computer via safe mode, and go througha step by step configuration, saying no to anything that asks about DOS. We can then access windows again, however, when the computer is shut down and rebooted, the same problem occurs, we go straight to MSDOS. Typing exit as the computer tells us does not resolve the problem. It is obviously a start up problem, but we have no idea how to resolve. HELP!!!

2. Bryan

Bryan

First Name:
    Bryan
    Get into Windows and try this,

Click on Start>Run, key in Msconfig and press enter. Select the bullet for "Selective Startup" and remove the check marks next to "Process Config.sys" and "Process Autoexec.bat". Click on Apply and follow the prompts.

Let us know what happens.

If it still starts in DOS, post the contents of your Msdos.sys file. It's a hidden file and it resides in the root of the c:\ drive. You can simply open it with Notepad and copy/paste the contents to a reply here.

3. deanas

deanas

Hi all:
    When I install something that screws up
    windows, I've found the best thing to do
    is uninstall the program that I just installed.

4. karenparmar

karenparmar Thread Starter

BRYAN

You have saved Christmas in our house!!! Thanks very much, the first method worked. My mother is now banned from touching the computer!!:) :)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/62578

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice