1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Stuck in reboot cycle

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by CajunTechie, May 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. CajunTechie

CajunTechie Thread Starter

A few nights ago, I installed a new piece of software (SoundTaxi Pro) and now my computer refuses to boot into Windows Vista. When I start the machine, I get as far as the login screen. If I enter my password, it seems to be logging in, but before the desktop is shown, the machine reboots. If I allow the machine to simply sit at the login screen, it will reboot after about 25 seconds all by itself. I've tried restarting in safe mode, safe mode with networking, and safe mode command prompt only and the same thing happens.

I used a Linux LiveCD to do a virus scan and it did find a few pieces of spyware and a single trojan (can't remember the name now). The AV software was able to remove all the nasties with no problem but that didn't help the problem. I'm suspecting that, whatever it is, has corrupted some system files.

I've tried creating a boot log to see if I can find any failures and if it might be as simple as replacing a few files. For some reason, the system won't create the boot log. Maybe because it's not actually finishing the boot process but that doesn't sound right.

Can anyone give me a bit of advice so that I don't have to totally hose the system and reinstall Vista?

Thanks!
    Anthony

2. digitalsatori

digitalsatori

Hi Anthony,

It sounds like Vista may be getting a blue screen and restarting itself. Are you able to boot in to Safe Mode? If so, you may want to disable the "reboot after crash" option. Open up System Properties (either from control panel or Properties of My Computer) and click on the Advanced tab. Click on Settings under "Startup and Recovery" and uncheck the "Automatically Restart" option. If your computer is bluescreening, this will allow you to see the blue screen error message to help troubleshoot this issue.

3. CajunTechie

DigitalSatori,

Thank you for your input. I'm not able to get into safe mode at all so I can't disable the reboot on crash but I do know that there was a few times that I saw a blue screen right before the reboot. It went away too fast for me to read it. I do know it said something about using your Vista installation disk but that's all I could read.

Any way for me to stop the reboot cycle without actually having access to Windows?

4. digitalsatori

digitalsatori

Sure; you can do it from the registry, but you need to actually get to the registry from somewhere. If you're familiar with Linux boot or livecds, many of them have a registry editor that you can use. The key you're looking for is:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\CrashControl
    DWORD: Autoreboot = 0 (0 = off; 1 = on)

Check out PC Regedit; they have a LiveCD that can edit the Windows registry.

5. digitalsatori

digitalsatori

6. CajunTechie

Thank you! I'm going to go check it out now. Thankfully, I still have internet access from the Linux side so I'm not totally dead in the water.

7. joeten

joeten

Hi if you can get to your bios usually F2 on boot and set the first boot device to your cd\dvd drive you may be able to use your recovery or install disc to run a repair

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/920841

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice