1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

stuck in safe mode - no drivers

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by gsw19, Oct 10, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. gsw19

gsw19 Thread Starter

I was having problems with the computer while on the internet, dnserror, cannot find server. Then on Monday while in the middle of something it would restrat itself. Took it to computer shop and they said I have a trojan or worm virus and that I would need to erase entire hard drive and start from scratch to ensure it was gone. I picked my computer up from the shop so that I could backup and save my important files. Now when I start up the computer it will only start in safe mode, yes it says it in all four corners. I tried the step by step confirmation start up but it gets stuck after I verify the mouse driver. So now it is stuck in safe mode with no drivers and I can't back up anything.

2. brindle

brindle

Always starts in safe mode
    SYMPTOMS
    When you start your computer, it may always start in Safe mode. This may be the case even when you select Normal on the Startup menu, or when you click Normal startup on the General tab of the System Configuration utility.
    CAUSE
    This behavior can occur if the [Options] section of the Msdos.sys file contains the following line:

BootSafe=1
    This setting forces your computer to start in Safe mode.
    RESOLUTION
    To resolve this issue, edit the Msdos.sys file by doing one of the following:
    Remove the BootSafe=1 line from the Msdos.sys file.

-or-
    Change the BootSafe=1 line to BootSafe=0.
    To do this, follow these steps:
    Click Start, point to Find, and then click Files or Folders.
    In the Named box, type msdos.sys.
    In the Look In box, click the drive on which Windows is installed (usually drive C), and then click Find Now.
    Right-click the Msdos.sys file, and then click Properties.
    Click to clear the Read-Only and Hidden check boxes to remove these attributes from the Msdos.sys file, and then click OK.
    Right-click the Msdos.sys file, and then click Open With.
    In the Choose the program you want to use box, click WordPad, and then click OK.
    Do one of the following:
    Delete the BootSafe=1 line.

-or-
    Change the value in the BootSafe=1 line to BootSafe=0.
    On the File menu, click Save.
    Right-click the Msdos.sys file, and then click Properties.
    Click to select the Read-Only and Hidden check boxes to set the attributes for the file, and then click OK.
    Restart your computer.
    MORE INFORMATION
    For additional information about the Windows Msdos.sys file, click the article number below to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

118579 Contents of the Windows Msdos.sys File
    The information in this article applies to:
    Microsoft Windows 98 Second Edition
    Microsoft Windows 98
    Last Reviewed: 1/29/2002 (1.0)
    Keywords: kbprb kbui KB306615

3. gsw19

gsw19 Thread Starter

Thanks - I will give that a try. Unfortunately once I leave work, I will not be able to access the internet at home via my computer. Hopefully this will work.

4. brindle

brindle

Please post back on this thread and let us know if that resolved the problem.

5. buckaroo

buckaroo

6. gsw19

gsw19 Thread Starter

I was not able to get the computer out of safe mode. I tried the following instructions . . .

Click Start, point to Find, and then click Files or Folders.
    In the Named box, type msdos.sys.
    In the Look In box, click the drive on which Windows is installed (usually drive C), and then click Find Now.

my computer said there was no such file. And I didn't know how to access the file otherwise. Took the computer back to the shop and he was going to make a backup copy of my hard drive on another computer and then erase my hard drive and start from zero and hopefully correct my original problem. (dns error when accessing the internet.) Now I see on another post reguarding this same issue it may come from upgrading to aol or using Kazaa. I'm beginning to wonder if this guy working on my computer knows what he is doing

7. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    MSDOS.SYS is a hidden file. Go into Windows Explorer, click Tools - Folder Options - View, make sure that "Show all files" is selected, then click Apply - OK.

Do a "Find" on the WNBOOTNG.STS file. If you find it, delete it.

Frank's Windows 95/98 Tips

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/171034

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice