1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Stuck in safe mode

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by Kbeard, Sep 30, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Kbeard

Kbeard Thread Starter

Help! My home computer is stuck in safe mode. I'm using Windows ME. The only thing I recently installed was Mcafee virus protection. This was 2 weeks ago. I have restored my computer to a previous time when it was working properly, but this didn't work. I have tried to restart my computer with minimal drivers, and that didn't work. I have gone into the BIOS and disabled safe mode & when the computer attempts to restart, it states that it is successful, but it then gets hung up again, causing it to eventually go to safe mode. I'm not the most technical person so any and all help is greatly appreciated!

2. Rache

Rache Banned

It's usually a driver issue if it can't get past safemode. Any other os and I'd advise running sfc (ME hasn't got it!). Are there any yellows in device manager?

3. Schle

Schle

4. Kbeard

Kbeard Thread Starter

I've also run Scan disk and disk defragment and those check out ok. I'm not sure what is meant by "yellows in device manager"

5. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Not sure what you mean by gone into BIOS and "disabled safe mode". You can't do that.

Let's be sure you really are in Safe Mode. Does it say so in all 4 corners of the Screen? If not, what you are looking at is reduced screen resolution. You may be able to correct that by setting the resolution back to 800x600 or 1024x768 (common settings) by right clicking on the Desktop and selecting Properties > Settings.

Otherwise you will need to remove and reload the video adapter/drivers.

6. Kbeard

Kbeard Thread Starter

It is definitely in safe mode. The desktop is also discolored.
    A friend told me to go into the setup by pressing DELETE when booting up, go to the operating system & "enable" it. He told me that if I did this, it would manually disable the safe mode & allow me to start in normal mode. I can't recall exactly what I was to "enable" because I'm not at home and my system will not allow me to access the internet from Safe mode. (sorry!)
    --I've probably made this clear as mud!

7. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Whatever your friend had in mind, it had nothing to do with Safe Mode. If there were a BIOS problem, and I doubt there is, you could select the option there to reload setup defaults.

In trying to "clean boot" with "minimal drivers", did you follow the directions here to run msconfig and select the option that only loads "statemgr":

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;Q267288

And since this still might be a video driver problem, try selecting the Advanced tab in msconfig and checking the option to load only VGA 640 drivers. These will be Safe Mode type drivers, but you should not be in Safe Mode.

You can also try, for test purposes only, checking the "force compatibility mode" option in msconfig > advanced.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;181966

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/168518

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice