1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

stuck in startup repair, vista startup repair, repair failures

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by ekthyer, Dec 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ekthyer

ekthyer Thread Starter

I am using my cellphone because my computer is stuck in startup repair mode. I have windows vista.I can choose repair or normal, both run start up repair. It always fails after multiple attempts. I chose advanced options after failures and tried to do a hard drive restore to several different dates. It always says its successful and restarts, but goes into startup repair again every time. I have called ms tech support, and not surprisingly my problem requires advanced help that costs money. They did have me restart and push f8 to launch safe mode, but it ended up in startup repair also. I have agreed to pay them but set up an appt for next tues. They said i can cancel and get my money back if i want. They said my problem is fixable and my photos and files will be there. I just feel like i may have a better option and I'm hoping this website is it. I can restart my computer and give the details if its needed. I am desperately seeking your help and would definitely donate if you can fix my computer and i dont have to pay ms. I am not a computer idiot, but definitely NO expert.

2. blues_harp28

blues_harp28 Trusted Advisor

Hi, check the following link.
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927392/en-gb
    Boot from the Vista DVD
    Follow the link above to reach - Command Prompt.
    At Command Prompt - Type.
    bootrec.exe
    Press Enter.
    It will now give you some options.
    Type
    bootrec /fixmbr
    Press Enter.
    Let it finish fixing the Master Boot Record.
    Type Exit and exit Command Prompt [remove the DVD] and restart you pc.

If the above does not work - use the DVD and back to Command Prompt.
    Type
    bootrec /fixboot
    Press Enter
    Let it finish fixing the boot sector.
    Type Exit and exit Command Prompt [remove the DVD] and restart you pc.

I would try and back up any needed data and files first, before you do the above.
    How to use Linux live Cd to backup files from a dead Pc

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1139114

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice