Stuck on C: prompt

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Richter915

well my PC is having some serious startup issues. First we battled with the virus AntiCMOS...got NAV2005 and got rid of it...and now whenever we start up the PC it goes straight to the windows 98 boot menu (with options 1. normal, 2. logged, 3. safe mode etc)...it says "Wanring: Windows has detected a registry/configuration error. Choose, Command Prompt only and run SCANREG."

I hit enter and then it says:
"The following file is missing or corrupted: C:\WINDOWS\HIMEM.SYS
The following file is missing or corrupted: C:\WINDOWS\DBLBUFF.SYS
The following file is missing or corrupted: C:\WINDOWS\IFSHLP.SYS"

then it says Microsoft windows 98 etc etc.

then it says "Cannot find WIN.COM, unable to continue loading Windows." and then it shows the C prompt and stops.

It's an old computer but it was a good one...what is wrong and how exactly do I fix this without re-installing windows? Any help is appreciated...this is an emergency, please help! thank you.

There goes that norton crud again. I hate norton for this reason.

I'm guessing once the virus was removed by norton the next reboot gave you this problem??

Every now and then norton goes off on a tangent deleting necessary files making the system unbootable.

***So answer this, did the problem start the reboot after fixing the virus?

Richter915

wow that's actually interesting...well I wasn't able to startup with the virus on my computer anyway...I was having far worse problems before running the scan...but no use in discussing that cause this is the problem now...how do I fix this!

I think you have a missing or damaged msdos.sys file

Start to a command prompt using the Windows startup menu. You should be at the c:\ prompt then type and enter each line:

attrib -s -h -r msdos.sys
ren msdos.sys msdos.xxx
edit

Now the windows DOS editor should be open. Type each line just so:

[Paths]
WinDir=C:\WINDOWS
WinBootDir=C:\WINDOWS
HostWinBootDrv=C

press alt+X to open the File Save and exit menu. Select "save as" and ensure it says msdos.sys as the name of the file to be saved.

Then ok the save and exit the editor and reboot.

post script: did you ever do a "sys c:" command as part of your previous fixes? That is what might have caused this.

Richter915

ok well, I tried typing that first line and I got "bad command or file name" message so...that stinks

I don't recall ever typing sys c:

Richter915

ok well I put the disk in and for whatever reason the PC doesn't pick up anything when I type "a:" but it does when I type "b:" so I did that, then I went to "c:" and I typed what you said...still no result...but those files you mentioned were on the floppy so maybe I can copy em to the harddrive, I dunno.

You may get that if the file is entirely missing or you mistyped. Spacing must be exactly as indicated with no errors.

Try entering edit

Does the DOS editor open? If so follow the rest of the instructions anyway.

If not enter:

cd c:\windows\command
edit

Does the DOS editor open from there?

If so, create the msdos.sys file as indicated and ensure you name it msdos.sys

and SAVE it to:

c:

Richter915

well the first one didn't work

I tried cd c:\windows\command and I got invalid directory...from the looks of it my entire windows folder is gone...

ouch.

Try entering:

dir c:

Is Windows present?

Make that dir c: /p

then when the screen pauses, hit enter to continue.

Richter915

no I don't see windows...I see a folder "window~1" but I think that's my windows media player....

I did on the other hand see a file titled "msdos xxx" so...maybe that'll help?

If you have done a prior reinstall you may not have reinstalled to your original Windows directory. The reinstall can create:

windows.000
windows.001

etc.

From the c: prompt try entering:

cd window~1

then from that "windows" folder enter:

dir

Does it look like Windows? Is the "command" directory there?

Richter915

I can't see the command directory in there cause I only see stuff starting from the letter "I"...there is stuff for IE setup..the files himem.sys and config.sys are there too...

Try entering:

dir /p /og

Now you should see the directories at the top; the screen will pause and you can hit any key to continue.

Also do you happen to see the full name of the "Windows" directory? I'm not sure what numeric value it would actually have it might be Windows.000 or Windows.001

The we need to go back and

edit c:\msdos.xxx

and see just what "windows" directory it is pointing to, and what else is in the file.

Richter915

ok I did that, couldn't find the command file though and it didn't give the full name of the windows directory...

what do I do know?

command would be a directory.

From within your window~1 directory, if you enter:

cd command

is it found?

If not your only option is a reinstall.

Do you have reinstallation media?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online