1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Stuck on desktop

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by OwenPledge, Apr 16, 2019.

Advertisement
  1. OwenPledge

OwenPledge Thread Starter

I booted my PC as normal and i get onto my desktop, no software icons load, nothing on my taskbar loads apart from the start button and the search cortana bit next to it, the time is there but i cant click it. Start wont open if i click it or press the key on my keyboard, Windows+x does nothing, windows+r does nothing. Ctrl alt delete works but just puts me onto task manager which i cant do anything from. Ive tried the run new program tab on task manager but again it does nothing, every 2 minutes i get a black screen and it returns to the frozen desktop. Ive restarted it multiple times, cut the power from the PC, changed plug sockets, checked mouse and keyboard are working but still nothing.

2. lunarlander

lunarlander

Insert a Windows setup DVD and try Repair. If that doesn't work try Safe Mode ( also thru that Repair Troubleshoot Startup menu ). Once in safe mode, make a new account and see.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2019
  3. OwenPledge

Both not worked

4. lunarlander

lunarlander

OK. I think you then need to use the Windows setup DVD to a Upgrade install. Make sure you have the latest DVD; you can download MS Media Creation Tool to generate the latest setup DVD/USB memory stick. The latest version of Win 10 is v1809, from Nov 2018.

5. OwenPledge

Is there no way to reset it from the bios because i cant get onto anything else

6. lunarlander

lunarlander

The BIOS is a separate entity from the OS. So no, the BIOS cannot reset Windows. Unless you are using some brand name big box machine with a custom BIOS, which May have some restore function.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1225878

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice