Solved Stuck on Motherboard splash screen after reboot

Macboatmaster

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Well as you can see what was disk0 the disk with the OS is now Disk2
I presume the power was off and the power lead disconnected before you disconnected and reconnected the SATA leads

If you reconnect the SATA board ports to the same drive as they were connected the disk numbers eg - 0,1,2 etc should not change
If however you connected the SATA lead from SATA port 0 or 1 however it is lettered on that board to a different disk than it was then the number will change

On your logs the 970 was disk number 5
ObjectId : {1}\\RICH-STRIX\root/Microsoft/Windows/Storage/Providers_v2\WSP_Disk.ObjectId="{403f154e-b6a7-11e9-aff2-806e6f6e6963}:DI:\\?\scsi#disk&ven_nvme&prod_samsung_ssd_970#5&17071589&0&000000#{53f56307-b6bf-11d0-94f2-00a0c91efb8b}"
PassThroughClass :
PassThroughIds :
PassThroughNamespace :
PassThroughServer :
UniqueId : EUI.506db29151382500
AdapterSerialNumber :
AllocatedSize : 1000204886016
BootFromDisk : False
BusType : NVMe
FirmwareVersion : 2B2QEXE7
FriendlyName : NVMe Samsung SSD 970
Guid : {82018f2b-9254-4d04-ae2b-2b2ad2aff732}
HealthStatus : Healthy
IsBoot : False
IsClustered : False
IsHighlyAvailable : False
IsOffline : False
IsReadOnly : False
IsScaleOut : False
IsSystem : False
LargestFreeExtent : 0
Location : Integrated : Bus 2 : Device 0 : Function 0 : Adapter 2
LogicalSectorSize : 512
Manufacturer : NVMe
Model : Samsung SSD 970
Number : 5
NumberOfPartitions : 1
OfflineReason :
OperationalStatus : Online
PartitionStyle : GPT
Path : \\?\scsi#disk&ven_nvme&prod_samsung_ssd_970#5&17071589&0&000000#{53f56307-b6bf-11d0-94f2-00a0c91efb8b}
PhysicalSectorSize : 512
ProvisioningType : Fixed
SerialNumber : 0025_3851_91B2_6D50.
Signature :
Size : 1000204886016
UniqueIdFormat : SCSI Name String
PSComputerName :
DiskNumber : 5

THERE is something amiss, I do not yet know what it is, I will have a look at your board manual and post back but I will not be able to do so until about 2000 Uk time.

You have I think two drives connected to the M2 slots on the board the Samsung 970
and the Western Digital 500GB

ame : WDS500G3X0C-00SJG0
Model : WDS500G3X0C-00SJG0
Manufacturer :
PartNumber :
SerialNumber : 1910_4347_0711_0001_001B_444A_4488_25DA.
MediaType : SSD
BusType : NVMe
BootDrive : False
PartitionStyle : GPT
FirmwareVersion : 102000WD
Size(GB) : 465.76

The WD 500GB connected NVMe is the one you have named WDStick500 and is shown on your last Disk Management as Disk4 lettered F

rbaroncpd010

I am going to open my case again and disconnect the drive that I feel has a somewhat loose SATA connection and restart and see what happens...... stand by and I will let you know.

rbaroncpd010

Ok, I think the problem is solved. I unplugged the suspected drive. The SATA cable and the power cable. When I did a restart it took46.52 seconds to startup. I know it is probably not as fast as yours is starting up but it is wayyy better then 4 minutes.

So I will try and replace the SATA cable and see if I can get the drive to show up. If not I'll **** can it because maybe it went bad.

Macboatmaster

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
I have checked your manual and was just about to post
However that is great news I am pleased
. I know it is probably not as fast as yours is starting up but it is wayyy better then 4 minutes
It is not as fast as mine, but I do not have all the third party apps that you have, many of yours are NOT really suitable for use on 10

For instance CCleaner which you have on SKIP UAC allows CCLeaner to run without YOU deciding to run it.
CCleaner has been around for years and is OK. However its heyday was when earlier windows OS were not as good as 10 is at managing their own systems and CCleaner as a general maintenance tool on 10 is neither necessary or advisable.

In its default mode it deletes files that should not be deleted.
It is IMHO on 10 a troubleshooting app not a GENERAL Maintenance app

The same goes for AVANQUEST which you have had, even if now you only have the remnants of it

You have also installed Malwarebytes quite recently and whilst the main malwarebytes may ONLY be the free edition scan on demand AFTER the 14 day trial has finished, unless you have already commissioned it to not provide active protection, you have also installed a Malwarebytes web protection and if you are using the Windows Security Centre and EDGE you do not need it as EDGE comes with adequate protection rather than possibly slowing down the system on browsing with a Malwarebytes web browser protection.

You also have some manner of supposed internet speed up app. Generally they do NOT work., but they do have the potential to slow down browsing

There are many other items and my strong advice is to STAY well away from these - little heard of free apps that purport to manage the system as regards windows or the system as regards browsers.

THAT all said, we appear to have solved the main problem and I am pleased to have helped you.

Macboatmaster

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
CCleaner
\CCleanerSkipUAC
"C:\Program Files\CCleaner\CCleaner.exe" $(Arg0)
CCleaner
(Verified) Piriform Software Ltd
c:\program files\ccleaner\ccleaner.exe
11/10/2020 2:07 PM

You want to stop using that and leave 10 to manage its system
If you need advice on what to do, although most is automatic I will be more than pleased to provide such.

=================================================================================
\SamsungMagician
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Samsung\Samsung Magician\SamsungMagician.exe" /AUTOHIDE
Samsung Magician
(Verified) Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd.
c:\program files (x86)\samsung\samsung magician\samsungmagician.exe
10/11/2020 8:09 PM
\Tweaking.com - Windows Repair Tray Icon
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Tweaking.com\Windows Repair (All in One)\WR_Tray_Icon.exe"
Tweaking.com - Windows Repair Tray Icon
(Verified) Tweaking LLC
c:\program files (x86)\tweaking.com\windows repair (all in one)\wr_tray_icon.exe
9/30/2019 1:18 PM
NOW you have finished with Samsung Magician which I presume you used for the clone and Windows repair all in one, which I presume you used to try and fix the problem, you may as well uninstall them

Greenshot 1.2.10.6
Version history (getgreenshot.org)

I just cannot see the reason for it on 10
It has not been updated for windows since 2017

It is included in Edge
(51) How to Use Web Capture Tool in Microsoft Edge Chromium | Tutorials (tenforums.com)

or

Snip and sketch
see screenshot
I think you do not really need it - snip and sketch is good
see attached Untitled.png
(51) Take a Screen Snip with Snip and Sketch in Windows 10 | Tutorials (tenforums.com)
I will add to this post and then you can make the choice as to whether to follow that advice or not.

Last edited:

Macboatmaster

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
That will do for now I am going offline for evening meal
As I said - you did well staying with it and as you said - compared with what you had it is fast.

I congratulate you, on sticking with the topic.
Cheers.

rbaroncpd010

Thank you for all your help. I know that sometimes I did things on my own that you did not like and for that I am sorry. But otherwise you did your thing and I and my computer is better for it.

I assume that because that one drive that has the bad SATA connection was the cause of my much too long restarting and shutting down. I have taken that drive out and replaced it with a 2TB blank drive that I will use as a scratch disk for Photoshop or something.

Thanks again...... I really appreciate it. And I don't use the browser Edge.

Macboatmaster

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
I know that sometimes I did things on my own that you did not like and for that I am sorry.
THERE is absolutely no need to apologise.
YOU did nothing wrong
The only reason I mentioned it was because, once you have read all the logs, and written notes of your plan of action to assist, it throws a spanner in the works if there are changes made that I do not then know about.

Please be assured that you were great to work with.

I assume that because that one drive that has the bad SATA connection was the cause of my much too long restarting and shutting down
Probably, it would cause the system problems
It may well have been a combination of that and other issues.

Screen snip is not restricted to Edge = please see the SNIP tutorial link on my post

There are two or three checks remaining when you are ready

rbaroncpd010

Sorry for the delay in answering.... you said there are two or three checks when ready..... Ok, let me know what to do.

I'm ready.

Macboatmaster

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Cheers
1. Open a cmd prompt with admin rights
type
sfc /scannow

press enter key
that is a system file check
If it reports all in order, then you are finished with that and can exit out
If it reports errors could not be fixed reboot and run it again - twice more if necessary, rebooting after each.
If it still reports errors could not be fixed - at the cmd prompt
copy and paste to it this cmd

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
for that cmd you must be connected to the internet as it uses windows updates files as necessary

If that now reports health restored etc.
Go back and after a reboot run the
sfc /scannow
it should now report all in order.

If DISM reports problems could not be fixed
I do NOT need the logs at this stage, please just post the results of the scan as displayed

That is right click top bar of cmd window
click edit
select all - the window will change to white
edit
copy

and paste to reply.
That is the first steps there are two more depending on results of this

rbaroncpd010

Sorry I wqs very very busy today and did not even get to your post until now. I will do the steps you laid out tomorrow 12/7 in the morning.

rbaroncpd010

I ran the check and this is what it found.....

Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.19042.630]
(c) 2020 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.
C:\WINDOWS\system32>sfc /scannow

Beginning system scan. This process will take some time.

Beginning verification phase of system scan.
Verification 100% complete.

Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>

Macboatmaster

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Cheers
Open diskcleanup
IF you have NOT updated your windows 10 version in the last ten days - for instance to 20H2
right click and click run as admin
you can then check all boxes - ensuring of course that if you check recycle bin there is nothing in there you want
This will clean up system files, update files and many other aspects of windows which in your case is nothing to do with freeing up disk space, but you will find, if you have not run it for sometime that Windows is likely to complete its loading slightly faster, on the - second restart AFTER diskcleanup.

IF you have updated the version within the last 10 days - NOT normal updates the version update to windows then run diskcleanup without the right click and click run as admin.
To run diskcleanup
Press the Win + R keys to open the Run dialog, type cleanmgr

Windows 10 now has storage sense which can be used in place of diskcleanup - which will eventually disappear on 10
That is settings
system
storage on left pane

Disk Cleanup is Going Away in Windows 10 and We Miss It Already (howtogeek.com)

IMHO it is far easier to use diskcleanup
I run it approx once per month on normal non admin diskcleanup - when you see the button - cleanup system files - I do not click that on the monthly run.
I run the cleanup as admin which includes the system files every 3rd month or so, but I wait after version updates to ensure I do not want to roll back.

I have mentioned CCleaner on this thread before I think, the Microsoft diskcleanup is a FAR better choice.

Macboatmaster

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Cheers
How do you now assess the loading time to sign on and then the completion to the desktop please

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online