Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stuck on "Starting Windows", Repair Shows "System Volume on Disk is Corrupted"

5K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Jrw2550 
#1 ·
Hi all,

Sorry to repeat a question I see a lot of instances of, but none of those seem to be addressing my problem correctly.

I have not done anything new to my computer in recent days, so this problem has caught me off guard (I see most instances of this problem come after upgrading to Windows 7, I have had Win 7 installed for a while now).

Here is a summary of my problem:
1) My computer recently got stuck on the "Starting Windows Screen." So I manually held the power button to reboot.
2) On reboot, it said there was a need to run a startup repair, which I did. Everything checked fine, except for the last one which said "System Volume on Disk is Corrupted," which it claimed to have successfully fixed.
3) After rebooting from repair, the system gets stuck on "Starting Windows Screen" for a good 10-15 minutes, after which it runs a registry check. After it completes that I get hopeful -- but the screen then gets stuck on an all black screen with just the mouse cursor and nothing more.
4) Additional note: Attempting to start the computer on "safe mode" leads safe mode startup to become stalled on "DRIVERS\CLASSPNP.SYS"
5) The lastest attempt to repair yielded this message: "Startup repair cannot repair this computer automatically.
Problem event Name: Startup Repair Offline
Problem signature 01: 6.1.7600.16385
02: 6.1.7600.16385
03: uknown
04: 21201099
05" AutoFailover
06: 2
07: Corrupt Volume
OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.1
Locale Id: 1033

In need of help, not sure where to start.

Thanks!

See less See more
#2 ·
Hi Stan, Hopefully I can help you out....or at least lead you in the right direction. From my experience, the symptoms you are suggesting sound like perhaps a dying Hard drive.

1. Do you have the windows 7 boot disks that came with your computer or when you bought the Operating System? If so, you could try and insert one of those and boot from it, and attempt to repair the installation. (this won't affect your data, only the windows system files).

2. If that doesn't fix it, you could try a fresh reinstall of windows 7, and see if that works.

3. If neither of those work, its likely that because of the fact that when windows is repairing itself, it is generally putting copies of its system files in the same physical location on your disk. Because your disk is obviously not completely dead, ie....its still loading to the windows 7 startup screen, its just copying files to the bad sectors on your hard drive and gets stuck when loading. This is especially my guess because you said Safe mode is having same problems, even after attempting to repair. In the past, I've tried and salvage a disk by reformatting it and only leaving on partitions which do not contain the bad clusters. This takes some time, and some guess work.....and really this is only a "bandaid" fix because once the disk has bad clusters, its only a matter of time before these things give out. You wouldn't want to trust your important data on it anyways....

I hope this leads you in the right direction.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.