1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Stuck on Startup

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Xaniith, Jan 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Xaniith

Xaniith Thread Starter

I'm not sure if this is the right section, but whatever...
    if you don't mind I will copy over a facebook conversation i had with a friend who built my computer, to show my situation:(SORRY for such a long comment)

ME
    It's my own fault and i regret it greatly now but I will go through the whole story. I wanted to get emulation on 7 working perfectly (some graphical problems led me to assume that XP would work better). So (im sorry) i illegally got XP just for the reason of testing it, and if it made no difference i would delete it. Anyway, since i knew i would need to install it from booting up i researched and found how to write the .iso to my flash drive. So I did that. NOW, i got it to install Part 1 successfully but i left it going making it boot to a half done XP installation coming up with an error saying "Windows could not start because of a computer disk hardware configuration problem. Could not read from the selected boot disk. Check boot path and disk hardware." So after realizing what happened i rebooted making it boot from USB again to perform the rest of the installation (Part 2) when i went into the installation process it was talking about overwriting the windows folder (by the way all this is in another partition, away from 7) so i said ok, it continued installing, then when it came to reboot it still came up with the error "Windows could not start...". Going back into the XP installation menu, i can access Part 1, but not part 2, mentioning a missing or corrupt hal.dll file. So i am stuck on startup without ability to access 7, and i can SEE XP but it comes up with that error, every time, even in safe mode and the like. I thought to physically take out my hard drive, plug it in on my parents computer and delete the files from there, but i thought i would see what you think. I realize it may be difficult not being able to see the computer. I thought of deleting the partition i made earlier, thinking it would delete the corrupting XP files and leave me with 7, but that didn't work.

I am able to go on the internet now through Express Gate, giving me acess to MSN, the web, and emails. Sorry for the long post :/

HIM
    hey man! mmm i would boot into the windows setup and delete the partitions containing the XP data. If you are having graphical problems with 7 try updating your gfx card drivers

ME
    do you mean into the bios? cause i still have my 7 cd, but it still comes up with that windows error, as does when i use Ubuntu, even when i force the computer to boot from CD (D:)

HIM
    mmm strange, id just boot from the cd then locate the partition then delete it.

ME
    ok i was able to delete the XP partition from using the XP installation on my flash drive, and when looked at the partition drive letters, they were all scrambled: F: = all data (Program Files, 7 etc), E: = The XP Partition now unallocated space, D: = USB drive C: = System Reserved Space... But the windows error still occurs, i get the feeling i may have installed part of XP on F: (new C:) and overwriting 7 which would make sense i guess. OH, VITAL INFO!!:: before i got all this screwed up, i wanted to install Ubuntu again (i recently uninstalled it) and my CD drive didnt pick it up, same with my 7 cd and some blank discs that i was going to use instead of USB for XP. I think the cause of this was trying to burn the XP files to a blank DVD which my computer had been able to detect before but now cant. When i was burning it, it made some very weird sounds which i thought may have been normal for burning, and now the CD drive can't detect some cds, IT CAN detect games though but after about 20 seconds. I feel this could be a fital part to it and may need to install a new CD disk drive

HIM
    mmm maybe, hard to say, normally disk drives are noisey as like my one for example. Prob best to reinstall 7

ME
    I can't that i know of unless you mean to back everything up and delete all windows folders, seeing as when i put the cd in, and choose to boot from cd, it comes up with the error, making me think it doesn't detect anything there so it goes on to boot with the corrupted XP/7... is there a way to see all drives in command prompt as i can access one in the XP installation of a Recovery tool. from there i used bootcfg /list to get all OS's on the drive and it only mentions Windows XP Professional

Again sorry for the long post, if you have any suggestions please go in depth on how to do such things as Hardware/Operating Systems are the only thing I'm not comfortable with computers

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!