1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Stuck on updating your system

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by Justinnelson96, Jun 24, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Justinnelson96

Justinnelson96 Thread Starter

I have a Lenovo all in one pc that I bought used, I factory restored it when I got it and it worked fine until I decided to try to update it from windows 8 to 10... I used the assistive technologies to get the free update... well it said preparing for update for about 3 days then one day I shut it down and came home from work and when I powered it back on it says updating your system 0%.... I've tried everything I could on google using keyboard shortcuts and it seams like my keyboard ain't doing anything? Is there anyway I could force stop the update till I got logged back into the computer or anyway I can just stop the update all together from the start up?

2. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

Which benefit of assistive technology are you using please

3. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    What's the exact serial number on your Lenovo all-in-one?
    What country was it purchased in?

-------------------------------------------------------------

4. computingforus

computingforus

First Name:
    Jevan
    1) Try restarting your computer more than 3 times (let it do whatever it wants to for a while each time) since sometimes after 3 failures it can change strategy

2) Try booting from a Windows 10 install DVD or USB Flash Drive Boot that you can create from the software on the microsoft website, you will need your license (product key) for windows 8, and you will need to use a working computer maybe a friends to burn the DVD or USB stick see https://www.microsoft.com/en-au/software-download/windows10

5. Macboatmaster

computingforus
    That is not correct, as once an eligible system is upgraded to 10 the licence activation for 10 is a digital licence registered against the hardware hash of the computer on the Microsoft activation servers.

However you may have read on the opening post that this upgrade was made outside of the free upgrade offer - after that had expired using assistive technologies. That aspect whilst it may have many other implications does not effect the digital registered licence

See below - from the link you provided
    You may also notice that no response has been received since the opening post on 24 June

6. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    That appears to be pretty common with first-time posters - never replying back.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited: Jul 4, 2017
  7. computingforus

computingforus

First Name:
    Jevan
    Interesting however I purchased Windows 10 Pro for my computer (after the free offer period had expired) and I received a license key that I can enter.

Also I am thinking maybe since the upgrade did not work, so he needs to treat it like an upgrade from windows 8 but if he uses the DVD it might work since I noticed on the lenovo website that the all-in-one does support windows 10. If his computer is:

http://www3.lenovo.com/au/en/desktops-and-all-in-ones/home/lenovo-all-in-ones/c/lenovo-all-in-ones

From the MS website it says

https://www.microsoft.com/en-au/software-download/windows10

- You have a licence to install Windows 10 and are upgrading this PC from Windows 7 or Windows 8.1.
    - You need to reinstall Windows 10 on a PC on which you’ve already successfully activated Windows 10.

So my post wasn't technically correct since it is a license to install windows 10 he needs, not his windows 8 license. This is assuming the "upgrade" he tried did not successfully register a license as now being windows 10 on his PC.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2017
  8. Macboatmaster

Indeed - but for your future information the upgrade to genuine assistive technology users - is still available free from eligible systems
    However Microsoft have expressed concern regarding the use by other than genuine assistive tech users and are thinking of restricting the use of it through direct contact to them rather than a general simple download. As is often the case the benefits are spoilt for the genuine disabled user by the unauthorised use of those simply trying to avoid payment for a properly licensed - used as intended windows OS

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1191985

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice