1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Stuck On Windows Screen

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by mikequest3, Apr 6, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mikequest3

mikequest3 Thread Starter

Hello

I am new to win 10, I was moving around it learning on my own & ran into a problem.
    On the Securities tab found in the Properties of "Windows" folder, I removed all groups & usernames from the list.
    The computer hung-up, after rebooting it is stuck on the blue window screen with the dots going around in circles... but does not load.
    The machine gives me option to run a few tools; I have tried SFC /scannow, system restore, image restore, etc - but it hasn't fixed it. Even Reset PC option fails after 1%.
    One option allows me to explore the files on the PC, so I have re-inserted permissions for SYSTEM, ALL APPLICATION PACKAGE, CREATOR OWNER, ADMINISTRATORS & my username giving them full control; in the "Windows" folder properties from there. Cant remember more usernames or groups; and am unable to re-insert TrustedInstaller...
    I do not have the OS disc.
    Please Advise :)

2. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    David
    I would say the best method is to reinstall the OS and all programs.
    Hope you have a good backup of all of your data.

You may have to use the Restore to Factory settings".

3. jenae

jenae

Hi, if you can boot to the RE (recovery environment) and it looks like you can, from here you can try a regback restore, restores the registry to before the event, if you are lucky. Win 10 makes a complete registry backup every 7-10 days(depends on how often you restart) we can restore this.

Copied from my notes, if you can boot to the RE do so, then go to the bcdedit cmd.

If you have made a recovery disk (always do this as prompted during install and after) change boot order in BIOS to boot from it. If not create a OS media install disk, (you will need to do this on another computer, either dvd or usb) get from:-

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10.

Booting from this you select “Repair your computer” option (will also have to change boot order in BIOS). This opens the RE (same for the recovery disk) here you select Troubleshoot, then Advanced, from the options select Command prompt.

There is another way to access the RE this involves booting, and then when windows attempts to load pressing and holding down the shutdown button to force a shutdown. Doing this, two or more times alerts windows to a problem, and it will boot to the RE. Unfortunately here begins a game of Russian roulette, if the system runs a startup repair (diagnosing system) it is likely to leave the regback with 0 bytes, if it attempts to repair registry (happens for some not others) so this is a last resort.

Once into the RE selecting command prompt, we need to establish what drive the RE has assigned the OS, (in the RE the OS is often given another drive letter, we need to know this for our cmd’s to work) you will see a X:\sources prompt, default is X:\Windows\System32> at this we type :-

Bcdedit | find “osdevice” (type exactly as you see here, spaces and syntax important, the | is called a pipe and can be found above the \ key)

This cmd will return:- osdevice…..partition X (where X is a drive letter, we use this letter in the following cmd’s, often in windows ten this is the D drive, you use what the cmd returns, our example use’s D)

At the X:\Windows\System32> prompt type:-

D: (press enter) the prompt now looks like:-

D:\>

At this type:-

cd d:\windows\system32\config\regback (press enter), the prompt changes to this directory.

Next type:- Dir (press enter)

The contents of the regback folder will appear. Make sure there is data in the folder (not 0 bytes) and check the creation date, if it was before your problem, proceed, if not exit out, it won't work.

If you proceed then next type:-

copy *.* d:\windows\system32\config (press enter)

Type:- ALL to the override prompt, it will say files copied, 5 hives will be copied. Exit out and restart computer.

NOTE:- before anyone mentions doing a backup.. we are restoring a backup, I see no reason for doing a backup of a backup, never had a problem with this on thousands of machines.

This is a copy of the cmd prompt with cmd's as an example for you:-
    Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.16299.15]

X:\windows\system32>D:

D:\> cd D:\windows\system32\config\regback

D:\Windows\System32\config\RegBack>Dir

Volume in drive D has no label.
    Volume Serial Number is 5B06-A0F0
    Directory of D:\Windows\System32\config\RegBack

28/01/2018 21:35 <DIR> .
    28/01/2018 21:35 <DIR> ..
    28/01/2018 21:35 704,512 DEFAULT
    28/01/2018 21:35 90,112 SAM
    28/01/2018 21:35 32,768 SECURITY
    28/01/2018 21:35 88,342,528 SOFTWARE
    28/01/2018 21:35 19,267,584 SYSTEM
    5 File(s) 108,437,504 bytes
    2 Dir(s) 412,430,352,384 bytes free

D:\Windows\System32\config\RegBack>copy *.* D:\windows\system32\config

NOTE:- It is important that you use the exact syntax seen here, spaces are important.

Paul23 likes this.
  4. mikequest3

Thanks for your replies

DaveA
    Yes, I have the backup of the data I wanted. I don't have a Factory Image to restore to... :(

jenae
    I appreciate u taking time to reply.
    Something like the registry restore option what u advised was what I wanted to try with someone's advice :)
    Unfortunately I was feeling depressed (for other reasons in my life, not this one) so I didn't give time to it & decided to choose the easy method of OS re-install. I did it from a usb drive & now will be installing device drivers but I don't know what hardware is there on the computer to choose the right driver.
    I have made a note of this fix you advised & will use it when I hit my next issue & inform you how it goes.
    Thanks again :)

5. dckeks

dckeks

First Name:
    Darrin
    Clean installs are always good. Please provide the make and model if you know it. Then perform the following steps

Step 1:
    Speccy
    Download Speccy to your desktop

1. File > Save Snapshot. This will create a file called [hostname].speccy
    2. File > Publish Snapshot. This saves your snapshot to their servers
    3 Copy and Paste the link to your next Reply

Step 2:
    List all Drivers
    http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/driverview.html
    1. Download the correct version for your computer (32 or 64 bit)
    2. Extract and Run the file
    3. Select View Menu and Check
      1. Mark Non-Microsoft Drivers
      2. Hide Microsoft Drivers
      3. Add Header Line To CVS/Tab-Delimited File
    4. Select Edit menu and choose Select All or use (Ctrl + A)
    5. Select File menu and choose Save Selected Items
    6. Save as Drivers or other known name
    7. Save As Type Comma-delimited text file (.csv)
    8. Compress the Drivers.csv file to a compressed Zip file
    9. Upload the file to your next reply
    Step 3:
    1. Click on Start menu
    2. Type in command
    3. Right click on Command Prompt in list and select Run as Administrator
    4. Copy and Paste the command into the command console
    msinfo32 /nfo "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\msinfo32.nfo"
    1. Compress the msinfo32 file to .zip file
    2. Upload the msinfo32.zip file from your desktop

6. mikequest3

dckeks
    Thanks for replying. I havent been able to work on my computer hence the delay, please give me some more time before I can upload the things in your reply.

I dont know the following :
    8. Compress the Drivers.csv file to a compressed Zip file
    1. Compress the msinfo32 file to .zip file
    How to do this (compress thingie)? Gives me no such option.

M

7. dckeks

dckeks

First Name:
    Darrin
    No problem whenever you are ready.

Compress files to a .zip file:
    Right click on the file you want to compress to .zip
    Select Send to > Compressed (zipped) folder from the menu
    This will create a new compressed (zip) file in the same location as the file/folder

See How to Zip a File for more information

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1208144

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice