1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Stuck with new build problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Michwolvr1, Feb 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Michwolvr1

Michwolvr1 Thread Starter

Hello all,

I am trying to build my 1st system and seem to have gotten in over my head. Here is what I am putting together.

PCChips P23G v3.0 Via Socket 775 MicroATX Motherboard / Audio / AGP 8x / 10/100 Ethernet LAN / USB 2.0 / Serial ATA / RAID / CNR

Intel Celeron D 356 3.33GHz / 512K Cache / 533MHz FSB / OEM / Socket 775 / Processor

Masscool 8W0141B1M3G / Socket 775 / Intel Prescott / Aluminum / CPU Cooling Fan

PNY Verto GeForce FX 5200 / 256MB DDR / PCI / Dual VGA / TV Out / Video Card

Seagate / 100GB / 7200 / 2MB / ATA-100 / Retail / Hard Drive

Ultra 512MB PC3200 DDR 400MHz CL3 Memory

NEC Super-Multi (AD-7170A) / 18x DVD±R Burn / 16x DVD±R Read / 8x DVD±RW / 8x DVD-R DL / 12x DVD-RAM / 48x32x CD-R/RW / Black / DVD Burner - OEM

I had a case and power supply already from a system I had built earlier.

Anyway, I assembled everything and tried to start the system to install Windows XP and couldn't get any power at all. After reading through the forums I found that the MoBo was grounding to the case and 1 of the connectors had to have a wire moved because this board only had 9 pins.

So now I get power to the system but I can't get the system to turn on my monitor or to boot up from the floppy drive or the DVD drive. Not sure where to go from here.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance

2. telegramsam

telegramsam

Do an out of case build.

Take EVERYTHING out of the case.

Set the motherboard down on a non-conductive surface--NOT A STATIC BAG. A piece of cardboard works best.

Leave the processor, heat sink and fan intact. Hopefully you applied thermal paste prior to installation. Verify that the fan is connected to the correct motherboard header.

Insert one stick of RAM

Insert the video card, then connect the monitor to the VGA port. Be sure the monitor is plugged in.

Attach the keyboard and mouse to the appropriate PS2 ports

With the power cord detached from the power supply, attach the 20 or 24 pin main connector to the motherboard power socket.
    If there is a 4 pin CPU power socket near the CPU socket, attach it as well.

Locate the power on pins on the front panel header on your motherboard from the manual, and jump them with a piece of conductive material--just momentarily.

The following should happen: CPU fan should start. You should get a BIOS display. You should hear a single beep IF there is an onboard speaker. You should be able to enter the BIOS with F1 or F2 or DEL or whatever a PCChips uses to enter setup, and manipulate the settings there.

Post back your results.

3. Leec65

Leec65

welcome to TSG
    the bad new is you may have smoked your motherboard you need to do a out case build on a pice of cardboard set your motherboard with the cpu with the fan on it you ram and video power it by using a jumper on the front panel pins (like a screwdriver)and see if it will post

4. win2kpro

win2kpro

Questions #1: What is the make and model of the PSU you are using, and has it been proved operable?

Question #2: What wire was moved? :confused: Are you speaking of the front panel power header only having 9 pins? :confused:

5. laptop_ron

laptop_ron

Hello,

I think the original poster got his parts from TigerDirect, since it sounds like the same parts I received. It was a barebones kit where they send you the case, the cpu, the cpu fan, the mobo and you get to put it together. Anyway...

I have the exact same parts (except for the video card and my power supplies are new too). I ordered 2 of these kits and have the same problem with both. So I'm hoping that the odds are slim that I got two sets of bad parts. :)

I have tried the solution provided where I take the mobo out of the case and only connect the cpu w/fan, the power supply, monitor, etc. At that point, I jumper the power pins with a screwdriver. I get a brief spin of the cpu fan, but that's it. If I try it again, nothing happens. To get that little spin again, I have to clear cmos (using the pins) and it will do it again, once.

The really odd thing is that when I jumper the pins with the screwdriver nothing happens until I pull the screwdriver away. THEN I get that brief spin.

If anyone can help, I would surely appreciate it. Thank you.

6. win2kpro

win2kpro

Properly seating socket 775 processors and coolers can be problematic at times.

With the board out of the case as described in post #2 (except place the motherboard on a box such as the box in which the board was packed) then try re-setting the processor cooler as follows;

Without removing the cooler take a flat blade screwdriver and turn the locking pins 90-degrees counterclockwise to the unlock position. With all the locking pins loose, without lifting up on the cooler assembly "gently" turn the cooler assembly left and right a couple of times. Turn the locking pin assemblies back clockwise as far as they will go by hand, and re-align the locking pins with the holes in the motherboard. Push down HARD on 2 pins at a time diagonal from each other, until all 4 pins are fully down and locked.

After the processor cooler is fully down and locked, see if the board will POST.

7. laptop_ron

laptop_ron

Well, I tried what you suggested and it didn't seem to work. HOWEVER, while sitting here deciding what to reply, I went back and tried reseating it with a bit more pressure.

Well, I re-connected the 20-pin connection for the power supply and now the fan works! Nothing else happens, though.

I did experiment a bit and found that if I connected the 4-pin connection, the fan won't work.

Well, it's progress. Any suggestions as to why it won't do anything else?

Thanks again.

8. win2kpro

win2kpro

A couple of questions. Are you using the onboard video or do you have a video card installed? Do you have the 4 pin +12V auxiliary CPU power connected plugged in? What make and model power supply are you using?

9. laptop_ron

laptop_ron

Since you're helping me, I'll answer anything you want! :)

Before your first suggestion, I was using a video card, but since then I've been using the onboard video.

As for that 4 pin +12V auxiliary CPU power connector, the fan won't spin up at all if I plug that in. If I leave it unplugged, the fan does work.

The power supply I'm using is Power Up! 450 Watt ATX power supply.

FYI. Since I have two sets of this hardware, I'm testing both. Your suggestion about pressing down on the fan worked on both and neither will do anything other than run the fan.

Thank you for your assistance.

10. win2kpro

win2kpro

When you mention fan I assume you mean the processor cooler fan. If so, is this fan plugged into the CPU fan header on the motherboard?

11. laptop_ron

laptop_ron

"When you mention fan I assume you mean the processor cooler fan. If so, is this fan plugged into the CPU fan header on the motherboard?"

Correct. I mean the cpu fan. There are two sets of pins for fans. One is a 3 pin connection for a system fan (don't have one).
    The other is for the CPU fan. Odd thing is, the cpu fan is a 4-prong connector and my power supply only has 3. However, there is a plastic slotting behind 3 of the pins and the power supply fits in them. (Sorry for the lousy explanation).

12. win2kpro

win2kpro

This statement confuses me;

"The other is for the CPU fan. Odd thing is, the cpu fan is a 4-prong connector and my power supply only has 3."

I don't understand what the power supply has to do with the fan connection?

13. laptop_ron

laptop_ron

""The other is for the CPU fan. Odd thing is, the cpu fan is a 4-prong connector and my power supply only has 3."

I don't understand what the power supply has to do with the fan connection?"

Answer: Absolutely nothing. I misspoke. I'm sorry. I meant that the cpu fan connector only has 3 holes while there are 4 prongs on the motherboard.

I've been working on this all day and I get a bit muddled from time to time. :)

14. win2kpro

win2kpro

The board diagram indicates the main power connector is 20 pin. The Power Up power supply indicates that it has a 24 pin mainboard connector, where 4 pins separate when connecting to a 20 pin connector. Are you plugging in the portion that separates from the 24 pin connector to the auxiliary +12V 4 pin connector, or are you using the separate 4 pin auxiliary +12V CPU connector?

15. laptop_ron

laptop_ron

I'm only using the 20-pin. If I try to use the extra 4-pin also, the fan will only briefly turn on and then stop (like the original problem).

Using only the 20-pin connector, the fan spins, but nothing else happens.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/545842

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice