Students

THoey

In the development forum, there is a thread that from the first reading of it, it seemed like there would be no practical use for it, besides as an assignment given to a student. I have seen this problem here and in another Tek forum that I belong to.

How does this site handle a request for help on what is almost an obviously a homework assignment. :confused:

Hi th3856

IMHO

1. You can help the sudent giving answers, reference links, ETC.

2. You can ignore the post.

Your choice :cool:

If I had a problem with coding or a technical question, I would post it here. And if I had an answer, I would help them out too. At least they were SMART enough to ask!

For instance:

How do you change the serial number on a floppy to a desired number? ie: change "D283 A39B" to "1234 5678".

This was a question in my Hardware Technologies class. I got it that evening because I knew who to ask. It is all part of fixing computers.

There have been a couple of instances in the past. The standard response is to figure it out themselves or they dont learn. On ocassion the question will get answered. Usually with a reprimand for cheating. I for one would requestion them until they found the answer themselves. I dont believe in not working for it.

I agree - as long as they have honestly tried to figure it out for themselves, it's ok to help them out. Like DoyceJ said, there have been a few in the past who you'd think just got the assigment and immediately posted here without a second thought. Those types of posts do not deserve to have their question answered. You can tell by the way the question is asked and if they provide additional details like "I tried suchandsuch; this is why I thought to do that but that didn't work and I don't understand why." For people who put forth the effort, by all means, help them! That's one thing employers look for nowadays in employees - if you don't know the answer or can't figure it out, do you know where to look to GET the answer.

A story I heard about Albert Einstein relates well. During an interview, Al was pressed by reporters for answer after answer on some very difficult theories. One answer (for whatever reason) prompted Al to make his notes available to the man asking. He said "Just give me a call as to where to send them". The reporter replied "Great, and your phone number is?" Al responded that he couldnt recall it and told the man that he would call him instead. The reporter was amazed and asked how he could remember all of those complicated theories and not his phone number? Al replied "Why go to the trouble of memorizing something that I can look up? Memorizing is easy, knowing where to find the answer, thats hard"

Not quoted. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online