1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Studio Movies

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by dustymay, Oct 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dustymay

dustymay Thread Starter

Can anyone help with a file ending .stx which I need to play in Windows Media

2. fairnooks

fairnooks Banned

Those are Studio project/movie save files, with all the clip marks and any adjustments that have been made to them. They will not play in any media player until you open it in Studio and render it out as a video file (.wmv, .avi, .mpg, etc.).

3. dustymay

dustymay Thread Starter

Thank you `Fairnooks` for your reply. Does render mean save the project again, as a video file?

4. fairnooks

fairnooks Banned

Yes, in Pinnacle Studio I think its the Make Movie tab and use one of the file types available.

5. dustymay

dustymay Thread Starter

Thanks again Fairnooks, it also publishes an icon in black and white which pictures an outline of a house with a `barred` strip diagonoally across it. This doesnt allow any action of use but shows a file size of the right amount to be the full movie. Do you know what this is for?

6. fairnooks

fairnooks Banned

Could you take a screen shot? Its a watermark from an unpurchased plugin effect if on the video itself but I'm not familiar with a seperate icon as described. It almost sounds like a seperate program is flagging it for some reason but I'm not sure. There is a second filetype produced with the movie in at least one format (I'd have to check to see which it was again) but it most likely wouldn't be the same size as the movie, and I take it by "also" that you are getting a good video output file?

7. dustymay

dustymay Thread Starter

As you guessed I`m new to this, and appreciate the help you are giving me. Ive just found in `My Documents` a file called `Video_TS` and when I opened it there were several VTS entries. When I clicked on the one marked as "VTS_01_1.vob" It had a file size of 1,048,574Kb, and when I clicked on it the Windows player came up and started playing this. It is the movie, complete, which I am trying to get onto a DVD in order to send to someone else. What do I have to do now to get this onto a DVD with the volume entitled as "RAFMeet17" such that it will play on an ordinary DVD player. I have a brand new untouched DVD for it. The DVD burner works OK for everything else. I can send you a photo of the ICON I mentioned as an email attachment if you like. `Properties` when clicked show these as having the full movie in them Kb size wise.

8. fairnooks

fairnooks Banned

No problem, the vts.vob files are indeed the DVD files, most programs automatically split those output files at the 1 gig boundary so the longer the movie, the more vts.vob files you will produce for that video. The extra files in the Video_TS folder are part of what makes up the structure of a DVD that will be playable in any player.

So if you want to burn a DVD, you can choose the Disc tab just above the File tab in Studio in the Make Movie section which you may have already done to get the Video_TS file. If so it just means you created the content but didn't actually burn it to DVD. To do that, go into the settings for Disc and there should be 3 burn options. Choose Create disc content and burn to disc and go over the rest of the settings to verify the DVD burner and such or set them to what you want them to be or should be if incorrect.

I don't know what version of Studio you are using but if you already created the content and have the Burn from previously created disc content option in those same settings you should be able to point to that Video_TS folder and burn it to DVD.

One last thing is if you happen to be using Studio 11 is that there is a bug where one of the support DVD files isn't constructed correctly and the audio is missing. There is a patch you'll have to get from Pinnacle's support and apply to fix that.

9. dustymay

dustymay Thread Starter

Thanks Fairnooks, once again.

10. dustymay

dustymay Thread Starter

Hi Fairnooks, last call, I give up. Either I am monumentally stupid or this programme should never be sold to a beginner. In trying to be all things to all people in one package they have made it so complex that any non-geek, ( present company excepted ), is totally confused. The manual which I have doesnt even mention .stx and the Video_ts resolutely refuses to copy to disc or play in Windows Media Player which seems to hate every kind of record I show it. When I try for a .wmv file Studio ignores me and the Player bares its teeth also. So good bye Studio. Can you recommend a simplistic beginner type programme which any beginner can use?

11. fairnooks

fairnooks Banned

Well, if you have files that don't need editing or fancy DVD menus, DVDFlick is a great program (www.dvdflick.net) that will make a playable DVD from the video files you feed it.

You should also be able to burn that Video_TS folder directly to a DVD with your burning software as long as it all fits on a single layer DVD.

Also its never a great idea to rely on Windows Media Player as your playback test program since it can have problems unrelated. Something like VLC Media Player is a much better choice, at least for testing the playability of a file.

Aa far as useability of full on editing programs, I think Studio is right in the middle, Ulead Videostudio about the same, Premiere Elements maybe a bit easier, Sony Vegas a bit harder. If you're going to be working with video more and more its worth learning, otherwise try the DVDFlick route.

12. dustymay

dustymay Thread Starter

I promise not to be,..... and thank you Fairnooks for all the info on programmes. Time now to sit back and think, then test.

13. dustymay

dustymay Thread Starter

If I double click on it, ( Video-ts-01-1vob ) the Window media player jumps in and plays the entire file, perfectly, all 1.18 gig of it. If I try to write it to a 4.7 Mg DVD - R it refuses and blanks the disc as full or wrong type, 3 Discs, one after another. I handed it off to the three seperate professional Computer people in the town each unaware of the competition, and none of them could get into the file using Nero, PowerDVD etc. They are all stumped, one being an acknowledged `SuperGeek`!

14. fairnooks

fairnooks Banned

I posted a typical DVD content (already burned to the DVD with DVDFlick in this case I believe) list for you to compare. It doesn't have to be exact depending on menus and other things you may have added but it should look very similar. There's nothing special about it at all, just specific enough for all DVD players to read and play it.

If you have the source files still ready to go in Studio I'd try the render and burn to Disc all-in-one process and if that didn't work I'd suspect the media in use or something with the burning process.

What did you hand off? A copy of the Video_TS folder? Discs?

Attached Files:

15. dustymay

dustymay Thread Starter

I handed off the same disc to each person consecutively. What I cant understand is why the disc shows it has been written with the data but cant be read at all. I downloaded DVDFlick on your advice but noticed that it wont allow `rolling` titles or am I reading the guide incorrectly. I have used them in the original captured data and the edit thereof and it does make a much more attractive presentation.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/758445

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice