1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

stuffit problem installing

Discussion in 'Apple Mac' started by hermes, Feb 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. hermes

hermes Thread Starter

Hi

I am on my first month of my first mac and so know zilch. I am trying to install stuffit as I have a .sitx file to open. The instructions are to drag it to the apps folder which I do, but I end up with a .dmg file that if I click on shows a read me file. I'm stumped. Its a genuine copy and is from the website so is definitely the right file.

Its a macbook running osx 10.4.8
    :eek:

2. VegasACF

VegasACF

The .dmg file is a disk image. If you double-click on it you will find that it creates a "virtual" disk upon your desktop, wherein you will (likely) find the actual installer for the application. Double-click it, jump through whatever hoops it requires (probably giving your password), and get along with life.

Hope this helps.

3. hermes

hermes Thread Starter

I tried that, clicked the .dmg, clicked the disk image on the desktop and it opens a text file????

4. VegasACF

VegasACF

A disk image will open as though it were any other mounted disk. The contents therein may be opened (or openable) by any number of applications. Are you sure you're double-clicking on a disk image and that is what is being opened as a text file? That would be mightily odd, but if the OS cannot figure out what else to do with the file that is a possibility, I suppose.

Try right-clicking (or option-clicking) the .dmg file and selecting Open With "DiskImageMounter."

If this option does not appear then there is likely something wrong with (a) the disk image; (b) your copy of the installed OS; or (c) both.

The result of this should be a disk on the desktop, just as if you had another hard drive, had inserted a CD or DVD with data on it, a flash drive, et cetera. If this is not the case the likely option is (a) above. But (b) and (c) remain possibilities.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!