1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Stumped.....Need Info

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by blaine2521, Jan 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. blaine2521

blaine2521 Thread Starter

Heres the problem im having. I had let a buddy of mine use a computer that i was no longer using. It was working fine when he took it. He had it about two weeks then he called me and said he was having problems with the computer. The PC will turn on and go through start up when it gets to the desktop it restarts. You can only see the desktop a split second. Then right before it restarts a blue screen flashes with alot of stuff typed on it but it doesnt stay on long enough to read it. There are very few times when the desktop does stay up. When this happens i get a error that says (Missing C/Programs) any help on this certainly appreciated.....Its a presario 5330us pentium 4 if that helps.

2. djk9898

djk9898

I am not an expert, but had a similar problem and this is what worked for me. I booted off the cd that came with the system and did the "repair" to xp. It got it working.

You might try seeing if you can boot in safe mode first and restore prior to giving your friend the system.

Hope this helps.

3. blaine2521

No CD it was giving to me. Never had no problems with it when i had it. I did set a restore point on it before i let him use it. But when i hit F10 and go to the option Restore to a later date nothing happens..

4. djk9898

djk9898

Hopefully someone else will have a better idea.
    From my experience of trial and error it's system software rebuild time.

Good luck.

5. blaine2521

Thats what im thinking Thanks for the help........

6. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master

Howdy blaine2521...

Power up the pc and start tapping the F8 key, you should get a menu that will let you choose to start into Safe Mode...

If you can get that far, try a system restore by clicking on Start - Programs - Accessories - System Tools - System restore...

7. sapp4l2

sapp4l2

Had a similar problem with a friends computer a couple weeks ago. Turned out it was a disc that had a bad sector (used to be good, turned bad), and probably corrupted the OS. Used the disc utilities from the drive manufacturer to do a surface scan and flag bad sectors. Voila, thing booted and OS seemed OK. Likely there was something corrupted on some program.

I also read that WinXP typically restarts after a serious problem -- so it may be something else entirely.

Just my 2c. Good luck

8. blaine2521

Jedi,
    I can do that and select safe mode but it just restarts again.

Sapp,
    I dont have any software for this PC.

To me i dont understand why im getting a error that says(C/Programs missing) that makes me think that the whole C drive is gone can this happen and how?

Thanks for the info...

9. djk9898

djk9898

Just had a thought. A couple of years ago a friend of mine gave me her system that was "blue" screened. Her babies pictures were on the hard drive and she had no back up. I tried various things to get it going, but no luck. I then proceeded to take it apart and was going to pull the hard drive, install in another system and see if I could recover her pictures. When I opened the pc I noticed she had two 256 mb rams. Don't ask me why, but I pulled one of them and then tried to re-boot. It came up. I recovered her files. The system is still working today. I was lucky.
    Hope you are as well.

10. blaine2521

Havent tried that but i did pull out and reseat everything i could. That didnt work. I will definately try that this PC has the same set up. 2x256

Thanks

11. RootbeaR

RootbeaR

My guess would be someone tried to remove programs by deleting folders instead of using add/remove programs.

12. bubblz

bubblz Account Closed

Do you have Bart PE installed on the machine? That would allow you to get in and see the structure of the hard disk? Also, have you run memtest32? Frequently, memory problems will give you problems like these.

You say that a blue screen comes up. Have you captured whether it's a STOP error or not and the module it's in?

I'd start off with memtest32 (http://www.memtest86.com/) and then BartPE (http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/). Also, what OS are you running? You never stated that (that I saw)?

Good Luck.....Bubblz

13. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

Hello, The first thing you are going to have to do is get the recovery software for this computer, since there has never been made a copy and the way to do this you have to have the OS working properly to do this needless to say it can not be done. The only way left is to contact Compaq and order the recovery software for the computer and unfortunately now it will have to be paid for of which is a bummer.

When you get the recovery software then you can run the repair procedure on the computer and this should fix it.

The next thing to remember is never loan a computer to anybody without getting an agreement that if they break it they fix it, and if you can not get this agreement do not loan the computer.

14. blaine2521

Thanks for the help guys. This issued has been resolved. I found that parting out a PC that you dont need and dont need to waste any money on repairing works great.......So the PC sits in my closet just in case someone or myself needs parts....

Thanks again.....

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!