1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Stumped on Connectivity Issue

Discussion in 'Networking' started by subhuman213, Mar 19, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. subhuman213

subhuman213 Thread Starter

Hello All, I need some suggestions on a specific issue im having and cannot seem to get sorted.
    The details: When I connect my laptop to the household wifi it works beautifully however the primary desktop and home phone lose all connectivity. We have a standard net package from TWC at 15mps. When running a speed test without wifi on the line is showing upload speed of 16.9. When connected to wifi the speed drops to 16.2. I do understand that running multiple machines will cause slower speeds but considering the very small drop in connection and the fact that the laptop is being used for read only purposes(no downloads or streaming) it seems to me like the connection at the desktop shouldn't drop out completely? Ive contacted TWC and all they suggest is buying a more expensive package with higher mps, however this doesn't seem like a solution considering we aren't even dropping below the 15mps we pay for now. Both machines are windows 8.1. Any suggestions or education would be greatly appreciated.

2. CleaverX

CleaverX

So all three (laptop, home phone, desktop) are connected to the same WIFI network? Is the WIFI coming from a dedicated router or is it integrated into your Internet Gateway?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1145069

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice