1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Stumper..need some help

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Raddog, Jan 13, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Raddog

Raddog Thread Starter

Hi,

First time poster.......

I am trying to get an OLD Pentium 166 running for my daughter. The hard drive need reformatting and a fresh install. So when I booted to floppy and began reformatting I couldnt get past 10% before it would terminate. I figured the hard drive was going bad. So I put in a 10 gig WD I had lying around which also needed reformatting. At first I could boot to the A drive but it didnt detect the hard drive. I unplugged the HD....made sure the jumpers were set to the factory setting and hooked it back up. It now detects the drive but with the boot disk in it just locks at the system info screen. I cant get an A:/ prompt now....any Ideas???

Thanks,
    R.

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Go into the BIOS and disable any DMA or UDMA on the channel that the hard disk is attached and see if that helps. Also, how old is the BIOS? If it's real old, it may only recognize smaller hard disks, I've had several machines that would lock up tight if you put in a large drive. If you're lucky, there may even be a BIOS upgrade for the machine available.

3. Raddog

Raddog Thread Starter

How do I tell what channel the hard drive is on???

R.

4. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

You might also use the floppy disk that came with the WD drive....if you don't have it, I think it's available for download on their website.

I would suggest if you don't have it, go to Maxtor's website instead and download their MaxBlast utility....it's more user friendly and will let you know if your bios supports the drive or whether you need to install their overlay software.........

Oh, and for the channel the hard drive is on......in the older machine you may have only one IDE channel......either look at the motherboard itself, or in the bios setup (take the floppy disk out so you have a better shot at getting there) you should see reference to primary IDE controller and secondary IDE controller.

Another thing, WD drives have different jumper settings if they aren't alone on the cable by themselves.....does the machine have a cdrom connected as well? If so, is it on the same cable, or by itself on the secondary?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/113001

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice