Stupid AIM Virus

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

margo155

Hey guys, your help is much appreciated. I have one of those stupid AIM viruses where someone sends you a message followed by a link. Normally I dont click them becuase I know they are viruses, but this time I thought it was legit that the person was sending me a link. So I screwed up. Now it doesnt seem to do that much damage, but it sends a message to all the people on my buddy list. As far as I know it isnt a killer virus, but it is just annoying. Any help would be very appreciated. Thanks.

I got this from someone elses post but i have the same problem so i just cut and pasted it. Also when i restart my computer i too have two blank screens and not my oringinal homepage. I have tried uninstalling a lot of programs to maybe help this problem but it is not working. Please help!!

Cheeseball81

Retired Moderator
We should probably see a Hijack log as well.

Click here to download Hijack This: http://thespykiller.co.uk/files/hijackthis_sfx.exe

Let it extract to C:\Program Files

Close out any open browsers
Launch the program
Hit "do a system scan only"
When that finishes, hit "save log"
The log will open in Notepad
Copy & paste that log into this thread

Do not fix anything yet

margo155

b/c i have antispyware on my computer will this link show up as harmful to my computer?

margo155

so when i got to that link and run the program i should just tell adaware and anitspy to ignore and proceed from there?

margo, are you getting an alert from the link to HiJackThis or to the AIM virus clean? If it's from the HiJack link, ignore it. If it's from the other one, leave it and I'll find another link. Go ahead and do as Chesseball suggested and do a HiJack log.
The alert you get is strange since I don't get anything here.

margo155

Cheeseball my computer will not let me get to the link you are sending. i think there is a major problem here. please help!

margo155 said:
Hey guys, your help is much appreciated. I have one of those stupid AIM viruses where someone sends you a message followed by a link. Normally I dont click them becuase I know they are viruses, but this time I thought it was legit that the person was sending me a link. So I screwed up. Now it doesnt seem to do that much damage, but it sends a message to all the people on my buddy list. As far as I know it isnt a killer virus, but it is just annoying. Any help would be very appreciated. Thanks.

I got this from someone elses post but i have the same problem so i just cut and pasted it. Also when i restart my computer i too have two blank screens and not my oringinal homepage. I have tried uninstalling a lot of programs to maybe help this problem but it is not working. Please help!!
this link definitely works. i had the same problem.

http://www.email-x.net/gmail-invitation-1392.html

go to that site, download the aimfix.exe file, run it, restart your computer in safe mode, run it again, and then it should be fixed.

margo155

I have fixed the AIM problem but now i still have a problem when i start my computer. i still have a random http site that comes up blank. also when i go to certain websites my compter will all of a sudden just restarts. I have fun virus scans multiple times and also my antispyware and nothing seems to work.

margo155

I am not at my computer right now but i will. do you mean to just click on the link you sent me and send you the log?

Cheeseball81

Retired Moderator
Yes click on the link (the first one) it should extract to Program Files.

Then navigate to C:\Program Files\HijackThis

Close out any open browsers
Launch the program
Hit "do a system scan only"
When that finishes, hit "save log"
The log will open in Notepad
Copy & paste that log into this thread

Do not fix anything yet

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online