1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Stupid CD ROM Drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by devil22, Oct 7, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. devil22

devil22 Thread Starter

ok well when I tried to load Halo today i expected to just put it in my cd drive and it would auto run. Well after putting it in there nothing happend. So I thought no big deal...so i went to my computer and to my shock I didn't find a CD drive...wtf?!?

Anyway I went to the device manager and found my drive there with the evil little yellow ! on top of my drive...i goto the properties and find this message..

Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39)

So then I thought to search for new drivers....nothing found

So I tried to rollback my driver...nothing to rollback to

Deleted my driver and rebooted to let Windows Detect it...didn't help

Then I went to the manufactures site to download drivers and firmware...same message

Then I did an advanced search and tried to use some of the compatible drivers listed....same deal

I happend to have a old cd rom around so i tried to install that...get in there then tried all the same stuff above....same deal.

Also I've updated my BIOS......no help.

So what do I do now? I don't understand why all of a sudden I have this problem. Especially since I wanna install HALO. But the drive opens and closes (not a power issue). But thats all it does. My only option I can think of is ot reinstall windows but I dont see what thats going to help. Even if the drivers are corrupted I installed new ones from the manufacterers site (and they were the right ones). Any suggestions would be great!!!

I'm going to open up my case and try to change IDE cables. Hopefully it'll work but I doubt it. Please have my solution for me when I get back:)

BTW this is a DELL that I've had since Jan '01 and it came with Windows ME. I upgraded to Windows XP a little less then a year ago and haven't had any problems until this. I do want a new computer but there has to be a way to save this one.

2. devil22

devil22 Thread Starter

That didn't work...now I'm going to try to use the same IDE cable are my HD...making my CD rom the slave and the HD the master

BRB

3. rockinmale

rockinmale

Give this a shot......

You will need your xp cd for this.....

install the cd then click on start then run

type sfc /scannow

This will scan your system files and replace any missing or corrupt system files......This may or may not help but at least you'll know that your installed system files are good.

4. devil22

devil22 Thread Starter

That sounds like a good idea but it requires me to have a working CD drive :(

I do appreciate your help and if it seemed like I was being an ******* its only because I'm getting aggravated and I'm just don't know what to do anymore

5. devil22

devil22 Thread Starter

still can't figure this out.:confused:

6. Rusty1952

Rusty1952

Hi, and welcome ! U may hav already tried this...But hav u tried removing the cdrom under device manager and then rebooting to let Windows re-detect the cdrom again ? I'd giv that a shot if u havn't done that yet.

I don't think that u hav a hardwr problem....cuz of the code 39 error message. U could possibly hav a corrupt autoexec or config.sys file. Hav u tried using the "System Restore" feature
    at all ? If not, try puttin it back to a point that the cdrom was workin. U might want to create a "New Restore Point" befor u make any changes, ie., so u can get bak to where u r now in case somethin goes wrong when reverting bak. Hope some of this helps.

7. devil22

devil22 Thread Starter

I didn't have a cable thats long enough to do this...but I'm down to thinking that my IDE plug (or whatever u call it)...where I plug the gray cord into my mobo is blown. So if no one else can think of a different fix...reply!

Otherwise... http://forums.techguy.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=170370

8. devil22

devil22 Thread Starter

9. hammerbill

hammerbill

It might possibly be a conflicting memory address or interrupt. But I don't know why. Maby things would change if you set cmos to autoconfigure your devices before loading your OS. This is typically done by setting "plug and play OS" option to NO. Another thing to try is the cmos option of resetting system configuration to "yes". XP is supposed to be so great about doing this stuff for you but you know microsoft.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/170294

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice