1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

stupid girl

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by BZellner, Sep 17, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. BZellner

BZellner Thread Starter

Ok- I know very little about computers so i will try my best to make this understable to someone who does. i recently received a free computer from a friend. its pretty old. it's an ibm aptiva. my problem is windows. it shows that windows is installed but when i try to access internet it asks for the windows95 cd rom. i dont have and called all over town and no one has it. or 98. now i get a black screen that says invalid system disk. tried rebooting it and cut out power and it still says it. any help at all will be greatly appreciated. thanks.

2. WestCan

WestCan

You probably don't have the full package installed ...and the memory (hard storage) and random ..is, well, not there. Go buy a newer used one.

3. skyman

skyman

Call everyone you know who has, or knows about computers.

Ask them for a Windows 95 CD and when you find it, run it and install it and see what happens.

If this does not make it work try to find a used one that has Windows 98 installed and try it out first.

Good luck and I hope you get it running...

4. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master

Howdy BZellner...

Try powering down the pc, remove the case and check the cable connections to the harddrive to make sure they are connect secure ( unplug them and plug them back in )...

Also make sure that there are no floppies, or cd's in the drives...

On the W95 CD issue, once you do get it to boot, look for files that end in the .cab extension, if they are there when it asks for the CD point it to where the .cab files are...

5. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    BZellner:

Check and see if there is a C:\WINDOWS\OPTIONS\CABS folder. If there is, when you are prompted to insert the Windows CD, click OK, browse to or type in that folder path, then click OK again. If all goes well, the file copying process should occur successfully.

What model number IBM Aptiva is it? With that information in hand, we may be able to give you some further advice - good or bad.

Windows 95 is pretty much on the "almost extinct" list. The oldest Windows version that you really want to have right now is Windows 98SE because Microsoft still provides support and updates for it, and most new hardware and software require at least Windows 98SE.

Frank's Windows 95/98 Tips

6. Rockn

Rockn

Is there by chance a floppy disk in the drive??

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/165548

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice