1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Stupid GMail --- Stupid Auto-Correct

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by BearKiller, Feb 14, 2020.

Advertisement
  1. BearKiller

BearKiller Thread Starter

Lately, I have been getting e-mails from intelligent people - who are not in the habit of making mistakes - and these messages will have entirely wrong words and sometimes completely re-worded sentences that result in the entire message not making any sense at all; I read them and am thinking "surely they must be drunk out of their mind", and these are non-drinking people.
    On my end, often, while proof-reading before I hit "Send", there would be a word that I would be thinking "I never typed that"; then, just a while ago, my entire opening sentence got completely reworded to where it made no sense at all.
    Surely there is a way to turn that foolishness OFF ! I am going to investigate and see.
    On a similar note, I am an excellent speller, having won many spelling bees way back in my glory days; and, I find spell-check to be wrong several times each day.
    I would also turn off spell-check; but, for whatever reason, either my keyboard or the computer lately have been leaving out way too many typed letters, making me have to backtrack and type them again; and, at least, spell-check does red-line those mistakes so they are easier to spot.

2. Johnny b

Johnny b

First Name:
    John
    I have no issues like that with my gmail.

Sounds more like malware to me.
    Or maybe your account has been hacked?

3. BearKiller

I went into "Settings" and found these two items turned ON, Smart Compose Personalization and Autocorrect; I turned both OFF and hopefully that will put an end to the problem.
    A friend says she sees the very same problem with her several email accounts and also with text messages; she says that her and her friends and coworkers complain about it all the time.

4. Johnny b

Johnny b

First Name:
    John
    What path in your gmail account did you use to get to those specific settings?

5. BearKiller

I clicked the little cogged gear icon in upper right corner and chose "Settings" from the little menu; I then scrolled down through the vast collection of various preferences until I found them.

6. Johnny b

Johnny b

First Name:
    John
    I seem to remember something about settings like that from years ago, but have forgotten where. There are a lot of settings.

Thanks, I'll take another look.......just curious, no problems.

(edit: I was mistakenly looking under account settings)

Last edited: Feb 15, 2020
  7. snuffleufflegus

snuffleufflegus

First Name:
    Damienne
    You could probably disable all three in the general section.Although i can't say that i have ever had your issue.

screenie.png

8. Johnny b

Johnny b

First Name:
    John
    Just took a screen shot of my settings and as far as I remember , always have been on.
    As I mentioned, no issues here.

My OS is XenialPup64 7.5 and my browser is Firefox 73.0

settings.jpg

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1240223

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice