1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Stupid printer question - Lexmark Z53

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by renz124ny, Feb 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. renz124ny

renz124ny Thread Starter

I have a really dumb question; is there a "special" method to changing the ink cartridge on an inkjet printer? Specifically the Lexmark Z53?

I am trying to change the cartridges but when I put the new ones in, the light on the printer will start blinking (10 consequitive flashes then a pause then again) and it becomes unresponsive.

They are brand new cartridges purchased directly from Lexmark.com and are identical to the old ones.

At first I throught that it was a problem with my printer - but I tried re-installing it, and even changed the USB cable - yet nothing changed until I put the old cartridges back in (and it's fine).

Could I have "defective" cartridges? Do they need to be "prepped" or something? (BTW - the cartridges do not come with instructions, and the HELP on Lexmark.com is non-existant)

Any suggestions?

2. bonk

bonk Banned

Have you right clicked on the Icon in the taskbar and gone to maintenence or similar and found change ink...

Have you seat them firmly and taken any covers off that usually cover a small hole so they drain properly..

3. renz124ny

renz124ny Thread Starter

:rolleyes:
    ...seems that all I had to do was to change the cartridges while the PC was OFF.

:duh:

...now I just have to deal with the "missing driver" issue.

:eek:

4. bonk

bonk Banned

What missing driver??

5. renz124ny

renz124ny Thread Starter

...apparently now I have to reinstall the driver for the printer...but I can't find my installation disk...and the driver that I downloaded from Lexmark.com isn't the right one.

6. bonk

bonk Banned

7. renz124ny

renz124ny Thread Starter

I went to that link and downloaded the drivers.

I used the Add Printer as instructed, but then it stops and I get;
    "the file LXAUSDRV.GPD on the Lexmark Inkjet Driver Install Disk is needed"

I can't find the disk.

Can I circumvent that?

8. bonk

bonk Banned

9. renz124ny

renz124ny Thread Starter

Eureka!
    OK...my problem was that I was downloading the wrong version.
    Lexmark gives you three of them. One of which I was certain did not apply to me bcause it noted "system 2003" or something like that, and I bought my PC in 2002.
    SO OF COURSE, after the other two kept giving me that message, I tried the last one and...it had that blasted "missing" file!

Thanks for all the help!

10. bonk

bonk Banned

So is it working OK now??

11. renz124ny

renz124ny Thread Starter

Yes it is.
    Gracias!

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/543606

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice